Chapter 14

My alarm was an unwelcome intruder. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and sat up, stretching my arms above my head. I checked my phone for texts from Mason or a call, anything, but nothing. He said he'd be there for the project, so his word is all I have. 

I flopped back onto my pillow, We'll see how much his word is worth. 

"Calsy, time to get up!" My mothers voice drifted up the stairs. 

"I'll be down in a minute!" I reply. 

I slowly get out of my bed, careful of my arm. I still had to come up with a good excuse. I should just wear a jacket to cover it up. The idea led me to my closet, and to a cardigan I hadn't worn in forever. I was gingerly slipping my arm in when my phone vibrated from my nightstand. It was foolish to hope, but I did anyway. 

It was Jasie:

Jasie: Hey girl, can I pick you up?? I have muffins!

I smiled and sent back: 

Me: What kind of muffins?

Jasie: You'll just have to find out.

I grabbed my bag and headed down stairs. My mother was finishing packing her lunch and Anthony was eating breakfast. Seeing them almost made my heart stop. I could've been taken away from them. But I was still here. Thanks to Mason. Thinking of him made my stomach feel funny, but before I could dwell on it a car horn honked from the street. 

"Love you mom, see you later!" I called and mused Anthony's brown hair on the way out, chuckling as he batted me away. I shut the front door behind me and waved to Jasie, who was sitting in the drivers seat. As I open the passenger door something catches my eye. 

Down the street a guy about my age leaned against his car. I stopped and watched as he took one last look at me and got into the car and drove away. 

"Calsy, you gettin' in?" Jasie's voice jerks me from my thoughts. "Yeah, as long as you have chocolate chip muffins." I reply, sending her a look. She laughs.

After a while Jasie spoke, "Cals what's been up with you lately?" The question takes me aback.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Ever since you got paired up with Mason you've been, distant."

She was right, I had been a terrible friend. I took a breath, "You're right. I don't know what happened."

She looked at me, "Calsy, if something's going on-"

"Oh no, everything's fine." The lie rolled off my tounge before I could stop it. 

We sat in slience for a while until I said, "I went to Mason's house."