Chapter 17

I just stared at him. "A new what?" 

He smiled. "You got out in ten minutes. It's a new record." 

I closed my eyes and shook my head. "I'm sorry. What the hell  just happened?" 

But Mason's father only picked up the broken chair leg and held it up. "Resourceful. Isn't that what you said Mason?" 

I stared at Mason. "You knew about this?" 

"So did he." Mason said pointing at Nick. My head whipped to him.

"We all knew about it." Nick shot back, giving Mason a look.  

"Are you telling me, that was all a test?" I looked back at Mason's father.

He nodded. 

I laughed, which was clearly not what they were expecting judging by their reactions. I held up my hands, 

"Okay, I'm out of here." I said and started for the front door. 

"Calsy, wait-" Mason started after me. 

"I don't have to do anything." I replied reaching the front door.

"Let me explain." He objected blocking my exit. 

I turned away, "What could you possibly explain to me? You haven't talked to me since Sunday, maybe that should continue." 

He walked toward me, "Calsy, please-"

"Didn't I say those exact words to you? And what did you say back?" I demanded.

"I had too-" He stammered.

"You are a free person Mason, you didn't have to do anything." I spit. 

He was mad now, "Calsy, listen to me right now. I have never been free. Ever." 

I just looked at him. "You seem free enough to do whoever you want."

Mason looked back at the living room and sighed. "Come with me," He said and grabbed my hand. 

"The last time somebody said that, I got locked in a room." 

A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as he led me up the stairs. When we turned into the hallway he stopped and stared at the door that was currently laying on the tile.

"You did that with a chair leg?" He asked.