Chapter 39

I jumped at my phone the second I felt the slightest vibration. 

Nick: We're ok. A1 will be by to bring you to the house.

A sigh shuddered through me and I run my hands over my face. They're safe. 

A couple minutes later my phone buzzes again: 

Liam: I'm here. 

Short and sweet, just like him. A small smile makes its way onto my face and I shake my head to clear it. I can smile when we're all in the same room, safe and unhurt. 

I nearly trip over the stairs, my pace practically shooting me over the steps. 

"Where are you off to, speedy?" My mothers voice calls. 

Shoot, I was hoping she wouldn't notice. 

I turn to face her. "I'm just going to meet some friends." 

She raises one eyebrow and purses her lips, but a look of understanding is in her eyes. 

"Have fun." Is all she says. 

I let out a breath and leave before she could change her mind. 

When I see Liam at the end of my driveway a small swell of feeling explodes in my chest and, despite my better judgement, I pull him into an embrace. 

"Ms. Bringer, this is slightly inappropriate." His voice is gruff. "Please get in the car." 

I pull away, slightly embarrassed. "Right, sorry. I'm just happy you're okay." He nods and opens the door, but I see a small smile before he closes it. 

-

As we pull up to The Main Compound I have to calm myself down; my leg had been moving the entire ride, and I could tell Liam was marginally annoyed. I take a deep breath, in through the nose, out through the mouth. He opens the car door and leads me to the guarded entrance; the soldiers don't spare a look at me, and salute Liam instead. One of them swipes a card and I hear a heavy lock slide out of place. 

"We've added new security measures." Liam says before I can ask. The guard holds the door open and we quickly step inside. The winding hallways do nothing to calm my raised heartbeat. 

Nick said they were fine; they're okay. 

We stopped in the main room, but the set up was different. 

My eyes widened at the sight of the ten beds spread out along the main room floor. Cots with white sheets held wounded men and women, and soft grunts and moans floated over to me. I felt rooted to the spot and Liam grabbed my arm to snap me out of whatever state I was in. He led me over to a more private cot by the training mats. A familiar red head stood at the side and I breathed heavily through my nose.