Chapter 9

I blinked. He pulled back and a smirk settled on his face, I debated smacking him. Unfortunately Olivia opened the door and said, "Ace! How nice you made it. And early for once." She winked. Me and Mason continued to stare at each other and Olivia must have noticed a bit of the tension because she spoke,

"Calsy, do you want to put your stuff in your room?" 

I broke off my staring contest and turned to her. "I would love too." I glared at Mason as I walked away. 

I know it was childish, but I squeaked. The tile floors were a sand colored marble and doors led to a balcony overlooking the pool, and the ocean not even thirty yards away. The sea breeze lifted the curtains but did nothing to disturb the cream colored comforter on the very, very, large bed. 

I had my own bathroom with everything stocked to the teeth. The shower was big enough for at least four people and the bathtub was like it's own hot tub. A huge mirror covered the wall behind a double sink vanity that stretched almost the entire length of the bathroom. I can't stay here, I'll ruin it. 

I turned to Olivia to say as much, but Mason stood in the doorway instead. He had changed in the time it had taken me to admire my room. Tan shorts and a blue button up shirt with, in typical Mason fashion, had a few buttons undone at the top. He leaned against the doorway, hands in his pockets. 

I crossed my arms and watched him as he looked about the room. Mason let out a low whistle, "Can we trade rooms? Yours has a better view." 

I smiled a bit, "Nope. I like this one." 

"Clearly, I'm surprised your eyes didn't pop out of your head they were so big." 

"Shut up." 

Mason smiled and I looked away. Night had fallen outside and a gust of wind had me stepping out and putting my hands on the balcony railing. Near silent footsteps followed me and then Mason was standing next to me. We stood there for a while, not talking, just listening. The waves hitting the shore, the wind rustling the trees. 

"Calsy I'm sorry." Mason said.

I looked at him, "Why didn't you answer me?" 

He looked down. "I guess I was a little embarrassed. Drinking is not something I do regularly." 

"Don't lie to me." 

"Okay well I don't drink in the mornings.

I huffed out a laugh. "What happened?" 

"My father. He wants me to take over-" Mason paused and swallowed. "He wants me to take over the family business." 

I frowned, "That's it?"

Mason shook his head. "It's hard to explain. The family business isn't exactly..."