Chapter 18: The Long Hug

WHOO! I updated on time :D!

Zoey: You do know it's Friday, right?

.__. wait WHAT THE FUC-

"Still can't find anything," Marinette whined as Adrien released a deep sigh. Plagg and Tikki were sharing a macaron on Marinette's sewing machine, while the two teens look for answers to the puzzle.

Marinette wanted to snap her laptop in half so badly, but she contained her anger. "Wait!" Adrien showed her the picture, that was now on his phone. "I've been counting the letters, and the first word is...Bustier," he settled on it, before realizing it was their teacher.

"It couldn't have been Miss. Bustier, she was hiding behind her desk," Marinette said as Adrien shrugged. "There are more spaces, let's see if they lead to anything," he sat back down onto her chair.

Marinette spun herself around on her swivel chair, staring at the ceiling. "I'm going to do patrol," Marinette said quickly when Adrien was distracted. "Hmm," he replied before id dawned on him. "Wait! Wait, let me come with you," Adrien said as Plagg groaned.

"I can do this one by myself, besides you need to figure out the puzzle," Marinette kissed Adrien's cheek. "No. I'm coming with you," Adrien landed on the decision as Marinette sighed. "Sure, I guess..." Marinette trailed off as they both transformed.

"Okay, I'll check by the town square and the Eiffel Tower," Ladybug settled on as Chat nodded. "Are you sure you don't want me-" "I'll be fine," Ladybug concluded with a smile. "Okay, meet up at the usual rooftop, right?" Chat confirmed as Ladybug tossed a quick nod.

Chat, as usual, went over to the Agreste Mansion first, doing a quick check to see how his old room was. He knows he wasn't supposed to peak through the windows, but he couldn't help himself.

Chat landed on the roof, hearing some muffled voices. He flipped onto the perch of his large windows, seeing her father and Natalie there. "I need to get Adrien back in this room," He practically shouted at Natalie, not making her flinch.

"I understand your frustration, sir," she replied as Gabriel walked up to the window as Chat leaped onto his baton, lowering it down so he was now under the ledge. "That stupid girl had to ruin it," Gabriel spat as Chat bit his lip.

Could the murder be committed by his father?

***

"What's wrong Chat? You look like you've seen a ghost," Ladybug sat cross-legged on the roof. "Do you think it was my father?" Chat said quietly. "What?" Ladybug got up to see his eyes full of tears.

"Why," Chat clenched his fist. "Why would he do this!" Chat yelled as Ladybug turned his face towards hers. "We can't confirm anything yet," Ladybug reassured. "And if it was him, why would the note say 'Bustier'," Ladybug said as Chat released a breath.

"Still, he seems like a person to have it out for you," Chat mumbled. "Your father may be mean, but he would never go to committing murder," "You don't know him as I do!" Chat protested as Ladybug sighed. 

"There are more words to the puzzle. You need to go figure it out," Ladybug whirled her yo-yo. "Why just me-" "I'm going to visit Alya and Chloe," Ladybug's voice was barely over a whisper.

***
Marinette walked to the receptionist. "Uhm, I'm here to see Alya Cesaire?" Marinette asked in an unsteady voice. "I'm a friend," she added quickly after. "Room 206," they replied as Marinette walked into the elevator. "Nino!" Marinette noticed as he gave a quick wave.

"Here to see Alya too?" Nino asked; the usual joy in his tone had disappeared. "Yeah.." Marinette trailed off, putting her hands in front of her stomach. "If you want me to leave, that's fine," Marinette said. "No, it's fine," Nino sadly smiled.

"No, I'm sure you want some alone time," Marinette rubbed her arm. "No, actually it may be a bit easier to see her hooked up to all that equipment with someone else," Nino sucked in a breath.

Marinette looked at her shoes. "Is it really that bad..." Marinette trailed off, a wave of guilt crashing into her. "I mean...when someone you love is where she is right now...it kinda hurts," Nino replied.

"Oh..." Marinette had no idea how to reply to that. "W-Well, I'm sure she'll get better," she fumbled on. "Yeah...I hope," Nino walked out of the elevator, Marinette trailing close behind. "Okay, room 206," Marinette whispered to herself.

"Over..."

Alya, her best friend. Unconscious. Lifeless. Using a ventilator to breathe. A heartbeat monitor, telling everyone how close she is to her last days. It was her fault.

Marinette took one look and scurried back to the elevator, and as the doors shut, she began to sob. "Alya...I'm so sorry," Marinette whispered to herself, unable to control the tsunami of guilt. Marinette ran out of the hospital, and quickly got herself into a cab, on her way home.

"Tikki...What do I do? How do I face her? She can't..." Marinette wiped her eyes. Tikki felt so implied to reply, but not with another person so close. Marinette was dropped off at her house, Tikki flying out of her bag.

"Marinette...don't cry," Tikki said as Marinette continued. "W-What do I do!?" Marinette rubbed her temples, warm tears flowing down her face. "I...what about..." Tikki trailed off. "At school! They're doing a memorial for Alya and Chloe!" Tikki said.

"B-But she's not dead! She's alive!" Marinette shot back. "Y-Yes, but to help them get a speedy recovery," Tikki opened the door for Marinette. "I...don't know," Marinette concluded going up to her bedroom.

"Hey, would Alya want you to be feeling guilty for something you had no control over?" Tikki said as Marinette shrugged. "Of course not!" Tikki spun around her, grabbing some supplies. "Here! Some ribbon, and glue, and paper-" "Not today, Tikki. I'm sorry," Marinette sat at her desk, starting her homework, her tears still flowing.

***

"Plagg, what if it is my father!?" Adrien questioned, sitting on his bed, in the converted garage. "We don't know anything yet, quit worrying," Plagg ate some camembert. "Plagg, stop eating so much, I need to use that money for essentials," Adrien said as Plagg put down the cheese.

"I mean, if it is your father-" "It has to be!" Adrien interrupted. "But, we don't know- "I know! I know him. He just wants me back under his thumb," Adrien ran his hands through his hair. Adrien felt warm tears flooding down his cheeks, Plagg not knowing what to do.

"Plagg..." Adrien mumbled in between tears. He then sat up, he needed to warn his girlfriend if it was. "CLAWS OUT!"

Chat Noir leaped out of the window, scaling the building edges, going to Marinette's house. "M-Marinette?" Chat asked, making sure he wasn't crying any visible tears. "Chat?" Marinette asked, wiping her own.

"What happened..." Chat's eyes enlarged. "Did something happen at the hospital?" Chat asked, as Marinette got up and hugged him tightly.

"I'm sorry," Marinette choked between tears. "I just need one of these today," Marinette said as Chat hugged her back tightly. He felt some tears drain from his eyes, but he tried to keep it together. Marinette tried to bite back her sobbing, she needed to keep it together as well.

They both did, they needed to do it for each other.

LATE UPDATES! Gotta love them, amiright?

:,D lmao, I'm sorry for that XD. I've been busy with school, especially since I had to giant tests the other day TwT. But that's all over now (for a week until I'm back with harder subjects)

But, as always, I hope you enjoyed and stay tuned!