chapter five.

I walked alongside Octavia as the sky began to rain

I walked alongside Octavia as the sky began to rain. I looked around at the crowd of my people in front of me, hearing their pain through coughs. I saw some people glaring at us as we walked. I just avoided eye contact as Niylah pushed me forwards.

"Hundreds are still refusing to come out of the bunker, fear of being bombed on the streets," she informed us. My face remained emotionless, as I secretly feared if they would try to attack us with the large guns that hurt like hell. I knew I could take them, but it would lead to a war inside a war, and nobody ever even likes one war because if they did then they're just mental.

"You said the target needed to see me, to see us, but they can barely look at us, what aren't you telling me?" Octavia asked. I looked around still seeing people glaring, I couldn't turn aways. I nervously played with the end of my hair tapping my foot rapidly.

"Word has spread about our defeat in the wasteland, Diyoza's firepower has crippled us. The soil here is dead, I don't care how much it rains, it won't be air-able for years. And as you know, the Hydrofarm can barely produce enough-," "Stop it," Octavia cut her off. My head shot up, the effect of what she said sinking in. I feared if we would have to have another dark year, as that was disgustingly horrible.

The dark year broke some of my innocence and I still can't get that disgusting taste out of my mouth the guiltiness I felt, the image is still stuck in my head and I replays over and over in my sleep.

"We have faced worse odds than this," Octavia said. I stuck my chin up, trying to portray the effect that I was not in fear.

"Yes, but now we have the warning signs of a rebellion. I once betrayed you, when you were vulnerable, when Wonkru was living in fear. Look around you,it will happen again unless you take control," Niylah spat out harshly. I turned my head slightly, slamming my eyes shut, the images replaying in my head like a collage.

"Octavia, Ellie," Bellamy's voice called from behind us. I turned to see he was with Echo. I rolled my eyes at her, and she cocked an eyebrow at me Clarke come get your man. "Glad to see you back on your feet, she tried to get in to see you but they won't let-," she cut him off.

"What is she doing here?" Octavia asked, looking wide eyed and angry at Echo. I didn't blame her, the stories Octavia told me about her made me want to throw her off a cliff. Speaking of cliff, that girl Charlotte was totally nuts.

"Yeah, shouldn't you be like dead or something." I was clearly annoyed by the girl's appearance.

"I just wanted to thank you for saving my people," Echo said. I rolled my eyes slightly, They're not your people. I'm starting not to like echo more and more, she's a traitor and literally tried to kill octavia so yes I hate her.                                            
"They're not your people, Azgeda is a memory, there is only Wonkru, and there is no place for you," Octavia said, taking the words right out of my mouth.

"Exactly so don't even bother making amends. You betrayed Octavia, you betrayed my mother, and therefore you betrayed Wonkru, you are nothing but a traitor." I spoke up stepping towards echo with my hand on my sword. I really just wanted to leave, I thought the ground would be more fun, but turns out it's just a shit hole like the bunker.

"I know you two have history, but Echo is on our side. She proved herself dozens of times on the ring," Bellamy spoke up, defending echo glaring at me.

"This isn't the ring, Wonkru, I banished this murderer from the bunker 6 years ago. My judgment still stands," Octavia announced to Wonkru. I didn't mean to be mean honestly but I just don't like echo, I don't see why Bellamy liked her so much to be able to swap saliva with her.

"O," Bellamy tried to protest.

"She has 24 hours, if she's still here by then, she fights in the Arena," Octavia warned as we walked off. I threw up my middle finger in the air, still looking forward.

~~~

Diyoza offered the people of Wonkru a place in the Valley, and it was causing chaos for Wonkru. We decided that Monty would build a device to block out their eyes. After the meeting, I went over to Gaia to train. Gosh I need a break. I noticed she was talking to Madi, so I stayed quiet listening in the corner.

I saw her talking to Clarke, as she bounced a little when she got excited about something she was talking about. I slightly smiled at how the blue eyed girl eyes lit up so easily. I got why everyone liked her so easily, she's got the eyes of innocence, the face of an angel, eyes so blue you can drown. She was perfect, maybe she couldn't hold a sword but still she was perfect and I wanted to know perfect.

Clarke and Madi left as Gaia went to grab a sword. "You can come out now." Gaia said clearly knowing I was in the corner eavesdropping.

I squeezed my eyes shut walking out of the corner. "Oh Gaia, what a nice surprise what are you doing here?" I said stupidly, slightly waving like I didn't just listen to her and Madi's conversation.

"Didn't mommy ever tell you it was rude to eavesdrop, El"  She asked getting into position. "Why were you listening to our conversation?"

I pulled my sword out ready to train "No. Just not to fuck up during battle." Gaia just stared at me waiting for my answer

"I didn't mean to it's just...well-, I-, She's just weird okay?, I just wanted to hear what you were talking about, I was curious that's all. She just comes here and acts like she belongs but she doesn't, people already want to be her friend she's clearly trying to replace me." I quickly lied, blocking her sword.

She ducks as I swing my sword at her "Are you sure that's the reason? Cause I'm pretty sure  the face you made earlier said otherwise." Her head throws back as I swing my sword at her throat.

"What do you mean? My face said otherwise." I block her sword away from my face and grab another sword.

Gaia rolled her eyes "You smiled", "So? I always smile, nothing new."

I swing multiple times as the clanging of our swords get louder.

"Yes but this smile isn't fake, El. This smile isn't forced."

Gaia kicks the bottom of my leg pushing me down on one knee "That means nothing" I grunt getting back up blocking her sword. "She means nothing, I was just listening to the conversation."

"Lies, you know how Octavia feels about this type of stuff." She swings her sword as I duck under it. "Your being weak and that type of weakness won't make Octavia happy and you know it" I narrowed my eyes at the girl swinging at me.

I swing my leg under her foot causing Gaia to fall on her back dropping her sword, "I don't give a damn about what Octavia thinks." I lie, pointing the sword at her throat with my right foot pressed against her chest. "And I don't care one bit about the famous Madi Griffin who was raised by Clarke in a radiation wasteland, so don't think or say that I do." I lowered my sword "Don't speak of this again."

I walked away, closing my eyes shut how could I even say that of course I cared. How could I not.

A/n this chapter sucked. Not the best, finally updated 😳☠️☠️ and by the way Ellie's eyes are forest green in this book