“Didn’t the doctor say it could take a few days?” Jennie asked, trying to remain positive and giving Chaeyoung a sympathetic smile.

“Yeah but it’s been a week,” Chaeyoung shared with her friend, frustrated. “I mean, ok, so it’s a little better now…she can speak one word answers consistently but otherwise it’s rubbish. She can hardly express herself at all.” Chaeyoung continued.

“So what?” Jennie questioned. “It’s just taking a little longer than expected that’s all. Lisa will get there eventually.”

“I know,” Chaeyoung groaned, “but I really need to talk to her about something and it’s kind of hard when she can’t speak.”

“What do you need to talk to her about?” Jennie asked with interest. “

A few things,” Chaeyoung responded, running a hand through her hair. “Remember I told you that she gave me her diary for Christmas?”

“Yeah,” Jennie confirmed. “Well, there’s some stuff in there that I really want to discuss with her,” Chaeyoung told her.

“Stuff that you’re upset about?” Jennie queried probingly, Chaeyoung not having divulged any particulars to her.

“No not at all,” Chaeyoung said slightly surprised that Jennie would assume that to be the reason. “The opposite actually,” she went on. “Honestly Jennie,” Chaeyoung said, sighing thoughtfully. “Lisa’s words, they’re just, I wish I could share them with you. She’s so smart and insightful.”

“Lisa used to take a lot of AP classes before she had the accident,” Jennie reminded her. “You already knew that she was smart.”

“I know,” Chaeyoung agreed, “but she’s so articulate and…ugh, you know what? I can’t explain it. I just want to talk to her about what she’s written that’s all and it’s annoying because I can’t.”

“Well, you can still talk to her about it,” Jennie noted. “Just, you won’t necessarily get anything back in return for a while, that’s all.” Chaeyoung glared at Jennie in response to the comment. “Or don’t talk to her yet,” Jennie laughed shrugging, observing the look she was getting. “Whatever, it’s up to you.”

“So how was your Christmas?” Chaeyoung asked, looking to change the subject.

“Oh no,” Jennie said sliding along the counter so that she was closer to her friend. “You’re not getting out of it that easily.” She informed her. “We haven’t finished talking about you yet. How was yours?”

“Jennie, I spent almost all of it sat by Lisa’s hospital bed,” Chaeyoung told her. “It could have been better.”

“Ok,” Jennie said placing a hand on Chaeyoung’s shoulder supportively. “You sound pissed. What’s going on?”

“Nothing is going on,” Chaeyoung groaned standing up straight.

“You’re a horrible liar Chaeng,” Jennie said as Chaeyoung walked over to the fridge as a distraction and pulled out a can of soda. She offered one to Jennie who declined before closing the appliance door again. “Are you mad at Lisa for being sick?”

“No,” Chaeyoung answered quickly. “Of course not…”

“So then, is it about the dinner on Thursday?” Jennie asked her. “Did something happen?” Chaeyoung didn’t say anything in response, instead choosing to look at her feet which she shifted her weight between evidently uncomfortable. “Oh my God,” Jennie replied knowingly, “Something did happen, didn’t it? Tell me.”

“It wasn’t really anything,” Chaeyoung said lifting her gaze to meet Jennie’s at last. “It’s just, after dinner we went up to my room…”