He is There

I had woken up early and walked out to the bench that Zack and I would frequently sit on. I wanted some time before the girls woke up. I had no idea what I was going to do.

"Good Morning Lila," Luke says, taking a seat beside me

"You're awake early,"

He smiles, "I went on a run around the camp, I guess I could say the same about you, you're never awake this early. Is everything okay?"

"I guess, I just wanted some time before the girls wake up,"

"Zack told me you're doubting whether or not you can do it, What happened? You were excited about it yesterday"

"It felt more like a gossip session about my relationship with Zack instead of them focussing on God,"

"Maybe tonight you can set aside a time before or after cabin time for them to ask you any questions, and let them know that you want cabin time to be specifically about talking about the message,"

"I'm just afraid it's not going to work, maybe I'm not cut out to be a cabin leader,"

"Don't let Satan get to you, you're doing what God wants you to do,"

"I don't know what God wants me to do honestly, I thought I knew, but now, I'm not sure,"

"If God didn't want you to be doing this, he wouldn't have given you the opportunity, You're right where you're supposed to be Lila, God is using you,"

"He's right babe, God has you right where you need to be," Zack says, sitting down beside me. I sighed, knowing that there was no use arguing with them. Zack hugged me tightly and kissed my cheek "It'll be okay, I promise," he whispers

"There you guys are," Sarah says, running over to us "Breakfast is being served, and there are storms coming in, so we'll be in the dining hall all day,"

"Lovely," I mumble. Suddenly, spending the day in my cabin didn't seem so bad.

"What activities are they doing?" Luke asks

"I have no idea, I'm just telling you what Grace told me, "

"I guess I can review my lesson for tonight," Zack says

"I might just go hang out at my cabin for the day,"

"If you want to, that's up to you. you're more than welcome to join us if you want," Sarah says

"I know, ill eat breakfast and go back to my cabin, I might end up studying the notes for the next few nights so I can come up with questions to ask the girls,"

"I'm glad you're going to stick with it Lila," Zack says

"I feel like I have no choice, and it's only for two more nights,"

We walked to the dining hall where breakfast was already being served. I fixed myself a small plate, I mostly picked at my food instead of eating. Zack noticed but didn't say anything.

After we had finished eating and cleaned up. I threw away my trash and walked back to my cabin. When I got inside, I sat on my bunk and pulled out my notes and notebook, and started looking over things.

Emerson walks out of the bathroom and looks shocked to see me in the room. "Hey Emerson, are you okay?"

She nods, "I'm fine,"

I could tell that she was lying, but I didn't want to pressure her into talking. She laid down in her bunk. After a while, I could hear sniffling coming from her bunk. I walked over to her and sat down beside her.

"What's wrong Emerson,"

She started crying harder and I laid down beside her and just held her. I noticed that her arm was bandaged up and I instantly knew what had happened.

"Why does God hate me?" she asks

"Why do you think God hates you?"

She opens up to me, telling me about her past of being abused and raped. My heart broke for her, I knew exactly what she was feeling.

"I was raped too when I was 14, and for the longest time I felt like you did, I felt alone, but once I met Sarah, Luke, and Zack, my life was instantly changed,"

"I've never really had friends,"

"I didn't either, but if you want, I can introduce you to people I know would love to be your friend,"

"I don't think anyone would want to be my friend,"

"I know there are six girls in this cabin who would love to be your friend, and I'm your friend too, there's Zack, Sarah, Luke, Pastor Evan, and Grace. So many people love you, Emerson, including God. Don't let the lies of Satan get to you. You are loved.

"How do you know God loves me?"

"He sent his son Jesus to die for you, and for me. Romans 5:8 says 'But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us,'

"Really?"

I nod, "He really loves you, Emerson, God commands us to love others because he loved us first. Without God's love, we can't love others"

"I want that kind of love,"

I smile, "all you have to do is ask him, there's no correct words, nothing special you have to say or do. Just ask him into your heart and I can promise it'll change everything. It won't always be easy, but it'll be worth it,"

I lay there and listen as she cries and prays, I could feel a huge shift in the mood, and I could feel God right there with us. I knew she could feel it too

"Thank you, Lila,"

"You're welcome, are you hungry? it's almost time for lunch,"

She nods, "I'm starving, I haven't eaten since breakfast yesterday,"

"Let's go eat, if you want, you can sit with me and my friends, or find someone to sit with from our cabin.

"I kinda want to sit with some of the girls from our cabin,"

I smile, "I'll walk over with you if you want, I think most of them sit together,"

"Please, I'm a little shy,"

We get up and walk in the pouring rain to the dining hall where everyone is sitting and playing games or watching the movie that's playing on the screen. I walked over to where most of the others were sitting. "Hey, girls can Emerson join you for lunch?"

Claire smiles, "Of course, she can,"

Emerson sits down beside her and they start cleaning up for lunch, "Thanks girls, if ou guys need me, Cara and Claire have my number, you can text me,"

They nod and I walk back over to the table where Zack and the others were sitting

"Hey Lila," Luke says

"Hey, guys,"

"You look happy," Sarah teases

"You guys were right, God has me where he needs me,"

"I told you," Zack says

I tell them about how I had led Emerson to Christ and explained God's love to her. "I felt the same thing that I did when I prayed to accept Christ over two years ago. I felt his presence and I knew she could too,"

"That's amazing Lila!" Luke says

"I told you God would use you," Zack says

"I know, I know. I just didn't think he would, especially after how last night went,"

"Don't focus on last night, focus on tonight and every night going forward, God is going to use you in more ways than you ever thought possible,"