“Hey,” Lisa replied, her voice hoarse and if possible, raspier than normal. Chaeyoung couldn’t decide if this was a result of disuse or a result of the intubation but it had the effect of making Lisa sound both sexy and ill at the same time. Lisa’s eyes fluttered closed for a brief instant before opening again and meeting the bright green of Chaeyoung’s once more.

“I’ve been so worried about you,” Chaeyoung told her simply, unsure how much Lisa knew and the best way to proceed with the conversation.

“Ss…sss…ssso…ssoo,” Lisa tried to apologise, but Chaeyoung reached a hand up to brush the dark locks of hair just above her brow comfortingly, sensing her girlfriends’ growing frustration at not being able to speak.

“It’s ok,” Chaeyoung reassured her as Lisa reached her right hand up to pull the oxygen mask down away from her mouth so that it rested over the front of her neck. “I know,” Chaeyoung told her. “I know you’re sorry.”

“Sss…ssss…ss…” Lisa tried again but to no avail.

“Lili, you don’t need to apologise,” Chaeyoung told her, stroking Lisa’s temple with her the thumb of her right hand, her left still holding on to Lisa’s matching limb.

“It’s not your fault. These things happen. I’m just glad that you’re getting better now.”

“Hhh….hhhoo…hhhhoooo…” Lisa began but once again, she could not speak.

“How long?” Chaeyoung asked automatically. She was now so used to guessing her girlfriends’ thoughts when her speech was difficult that it was almost like second nature to her. Lisa nodded her head in response, informing Chaeyoung that her assumption had been correct. “You had the seizure on Tuesday and today is Saturday,” Chaeyoung told her, the fingertips of her right hand sliding down to caress Lisa’s cheek. Lisa didn’t respond for a moment apparently calculating something in her head.

“Cch…ccch…cchhhr…” she attempted but her speech just wouldn’t cooperate.

“Christmas?” Chaeyoung asked uncertainly and Lisa nodded her head again, lifting her right hand and pointing her index finger at the floor to try and express what she meant specifically.

“Downstairs?” Chaeyoung asked and Lisa shook her head.

“Ttt…ttooo…” She began and Chaeyoung frowned trying to understand. Lisa glanced around evidently in search of something, her one good eye finally settling on Chaeyoung’s watch. She pointed to it emphatically with her right hand and Chaeyoung dropped her eyes to look at its face, noting the hands as they rotated slowly and the date.

“I don’t…” Chaeyoung started to say but suddenly Lisa’s meaning dawned on her. “Oh,” she said. “You mean is it today?” she asked and Lisa nodded her head.

“No Lili,” Chaeyoung answered sympathetically, chuckling a little at her girlfriends’ confusion. “It’s not Christmas today. You’ve still got a couple of days to wait yet.” Lisa pointed at Chaeyoung again, her attention never leaving her girlfriend. “Me?” Chaeyoung asked and Lisa nodded. “What about me?” she asked.

“Kkk…kkk…kkkii…kkii…” Lisa tried and she lifted her right hand, hitting the heel of it to her head lightly.

“Don’t do that Lili,” Chaeyoung chastised her tone kind as she reached up with her free hand to grasp it quickly and prevent Lisa causing herself any harm. “It’s ok…”

“Nnnooo,” Lisa replied shaking her head in disagreement. She pointed to Chaeyoung once more and she sighed, wishing she knew what Lisa was trying to say to her. “I’m sorry Lili,” Chaeyoung apologised sadly, “I don’t know what you’re trying to say.”