Chapter Sixteen.

I got them into this mess and I had to play hero and save my friends who were trapped underground.

.............
Earlier that day.

" Becky quit being you for once," Lindsay piped out her face in a frown.

" It's Gabby Parker's house, don't you think we'll get into trouble,"

Becky ran her hands through her wavy caramel hair fixing up her pretty self.

" We won't get caught," Will stood at the doorway with a coffee mug in hand.

" What makes you so sure?"

" Lindsay, as long as we do things according to plan, we should all be fine." Will reassured.

" I have a plan B," I sat up after listening to them lay bare their fears.

I could feel their eyes rake my body as I fumbled with my fingers.

" Gabby's bedroom is on the first floor, what if we send one person in and the rest be on lookout," I proposed.

Will chuckled as he lazily sauntered to the bed.

" Who will this person be?" He asked and the rest of us stared at him.

" You have got to be kidding me!"

" Will, you are the only guy here. Do our faces resemble those of burglars?" Becky teased.

" Well does mine look like one?"

" Fine, we'll all go in, find whatever we are looking for and head out."

I liked Lindsay's idea but I had to be part of this somehow.

" Gabby must have a diary or something," I pointed out.

" Can't we hack into her computer?"

I turned to Becky puzzled," That can take a lot of time, something I don't have."

" Okay, it's settled then, we are set for 9 pm." Will glanced at me as I fell back on the bed.

If this plan didn't work, I had one more trick up my sleeve and he would answer all my questions.
.........

The inky sky was looking dull, the air in the car getting thick with every minute that we got closer to Gabby's place. Lindsay had mentioned that her folks were taking care of her burial arrangements. The images of me running into Gabby in kindergarten played in my head.

I remembered the always fun and happy girl who stole my candy. To the high school senior everyone at Fair Lane branded as awkward because of the way she looked. At that point I thought to myself, what if Gabby committed suicide because of all the hate she got , coupled with being turned down by the guy she loved?

Will pulled into the parking space bringing the car to a halt. Gabby's house came into view, cold and desolate, dark and abandoned.

" This place is way too plush."

I was on face time with Becky but I could make out Lindsay's voice as they headed up the stairs.

" Who knew Gabby's parents were rich?" Blurted Becky.

" Just don't touch anything," Will who was leading the group advised as they got to the first floor, his flash light gripped between his teeth.

I was seated in Will's car on lookout and at the same time trying to follow the proceedings in Gabby's place.

The gang got into Gabby's room without much effort, searching for anything that could help. Her private space was one of a kind, like a hotel suite it seemed and we were just getting started.

" Oh my God! Look at this!"

We all looked in Lindsay's direction as Gabby's closet was flung wide open.

" Why didn't she ever wear one of these to school? I mean these are limited edition .."

" I said don't touch anything!" Roared Will.

Lindsay shrugged as Will searched through the closet, his gloved hands holding something up.

" Guys what is this?" He asks.

"'Looks like a dead rat," commented  Becky.

The girls bend over and take a look at it. Lindsay kicking Will all of a sudden.

" It's a bra you creep!" She yells as I fall back to the leather seat.

" Ella, we've searched the whole place there is nothing here that can tell us who Gabby was involved with."

I took a deep sigh, my face brightening up because we had another lead!

" Meet me in the car, I have another way of how we can solve this mystery." I said drinking my coffee.

" OK Ella we'll be down shortly."

Will took the lead as the gang descended the staircase.

" So no one has ever been here before?" asked Lindsay.

" You know that no one has Lindsay, we were all too scared after hearing that this house is haunted or something."

" What if we look around and confirm if the rumours are true."

A cheeky smile played on Lindsay's face, she beamed the flash light on her face making ghost noises.

" This is lame, lets just.."

Becky tripped on something opening the booby trapped door. The whole gang swallowed by the floor as they let out deafening screams.

" You guys!"  I called out but no one answered.

"Can anyone hear me!" I grunted, there was no reply.

I slipped out of the car, clutching onto my abdomen as I crossed the front lawn of Gabby's house.

I got them into this mess and I had to play hero and save my friends who were trapped underground.

...........