A Glimpse At Life

Third Person POV-
    Shelby's past has been eating her away for a while now. She's been wanting to open up about it all for quite sometime, but, until she met the Elementals, there was no one to talk to. Her parents were good parents, there was no doubt in her mind of that, but they just couldn't really see what happened when it did. They loved her, really, but it seemed like those cuts and bruises slipped right past their eyes. Her skin would be openly coated in marks of her abusive relationship, barren reminders that she was still trapped, but they never saw through her charade of inner joy and purity. Everyone just saw her as a bright bakery girl and moved along with their lives, never even bothering to take a second look. People were trapped in the bubbles of their own lives, why would they take the time, much less even have the time to enter hers? All that had changed here, the Elementals had become like a family for her. She cares about them so much, but who could she trust with her past? She knew, only one person would really understand. He is the only one who also became a shadow of what others projected onto him. He, out of all people, could see through her before, so why not now?

Cory's POV-
    We had gone back to our room, still humored after walking in on Kitty and Dawn. Shelby was just sitting down on her bed, supposedly thinking. But, whatever it was she was thinking about, it didn't look good. I carefully sat down next to her, making sure to not be right next to her so I wouldn't scare her on accident. "What's on your mind?" I asked, she still didn't glance over, but I could tell she heard what I said. She stayed silent for a minute or two, probably trying to figure out how to respond. "Do you want to know the truth?" She asked bluntly out of nowhere. "The truth about what?" What is she talking about? She sighed, then spoke. "Everything. Everything that has happened to me. Of course, all of you know some parts. But, none of you know everything about what happened back then." This is probably about Graser, he is really the only part of her past she has spoke about without saying everything. But, do I even deserve to know? If she had no reason to not tell us, she probably would have by now. I think I know which answer I will pick though. "I guess so." She closed her eyes, and muttered words under her breath. "My thoughts to your thoughts. My memories replayed inside your head. A temporary link of light to be formed. An aching past to be relived in tainted red." (There's actually a nerdy reference here, can you find it?) The world faded to black, before I knew it, a memory of the past was playing back to us. I was not as ready for this as I thought.

(Warning! This memory is going to be about an abusive relationship, with mentions of abuse, blood, and sharp objects. This portion is not for the faint of heart. If you can not handle reading writing about abuse, then please, skip this section. It will be clarified. Thank you!)

    It was a white house, yet seemed as dull as can be. Light seemed to barely hit most sections of the house, running away before it could even penetrate through. It seemed that the both of us were like ghosts looking in, not visible or apart of anything. A girl came through the door, who I barely recognized as Shelby. She just seemed so different. It was similar to how she was when Graser pulled down her sleeve all those days ago, but there was no emotion at all to be found. Her emotions seemed to be masked, which made sense, considering the small details she has given us before now. "Why were you not here before now?! What took you so long?!" A male voiced yelled as it approached, which I can assume was Graser. "I- I had to help my parents with the cookie shop for a bit and-" She started to say, but was cut off. "Did I say I wanted excuses from you, you waste of space?! I said you had to be here, like it or not, thirty minutes ago! You know you have to be punished somehow..." He continuously threatened her, causing my blood to boil. "No- please- I'll- I won't mess up next time, please!" She begged, almost for her life. Without a word, a knife was in his hand. She kept backing herself farther and farther towards a wall. I knew what was going to happen next, yet I couldn't look away. She had already fallen to the floor. Her screams as the knife dug into her arms were piercing, and he most definitely wasn't holding back. Tears were pouring down her face as he left without a word to her, making sure to kick her on the way out. Shelby definitely had not physically, or even mentally recovered from what happened, but she silently forced herself up, biting her lip to hold back the pain. Without a word, she opened the door, and the house of horror disappeared from view, back into the black void.

Shelby's POV-
    The memory of that day was over, finally. I've already had to look back at his abuse enough. I must have watched my arms be scarred at least every other day. I just want that memory to go away. It's like a constant scream, my own scream, pierces through me. Cory seemed to have regained himself after a few seconds, after all, jumping from memory to reality is no walk in the park. Especially when it is me we're talking about. I just let him hold me, hug me, no words needed to be spoken. No words could be spoken that would justify or even explain it all. The only way anyone could really understand these kinds of feelings was to see it with their own eyes. People hear about those who suffer from anxiety, depression, abuse, disability, we see it every day. However, as much as we want to say we understand, we never do, unless we see it through our own eyes. Not through a description, or an image, but with the truth, face to face. I refused to speak, even now, as my tears were the only thing that had a voice.

A̸͇͚͌͂͆̌n̴̲̼̪̣̍̆̏̾͠d̷̨̩͈̜̑̐