Chapter 16

Hermoine POV 

My head snaps around to where the voice comes from and standing there I spot none other than Pansy Parkinson standing there with Ron's arm wrapped around her waist. 

"You found my cat." She sneers. 

"This sweet innocent thing is yours." I spit out, unable to believe she is capable of taking care of an animal. 

"Yes he is. A gift from Ron for our one month." She smirks at me thinking she hit a nerve by mentioning Ron. I roll my eyes at her childish way before glancing back down at the sleeping kitten. As much as I hate to give him back, he is rightfully hers. Standing up I muster all the patients I possibly can and hand the cat over. 

"Might want to keep a better eye on him next time. Wouldn't want him to get hurt." She snatches the cat out of my hands and holds him closely to her chest. 

"Might want to keep a better eye on your boyfriend next time. Wouldn't want him crawling in my bed." She spits out. Without thinking my hand goes for the wand I keep hidden in my pocket. I see her eyes widen in fear knowing what I am reaching for but I am stopped before I can pull the wand out. 

"Muggles." Draco whispers in my ear and I relax, dropping my hand. I look up at Ron and see nothing but a smirk on his face. 

"Don't tell me you're with The Ferret now Hermione." Ron almost pleads. I see Pansy look up at him with a frown. 

"He isn't THE Ferret anymore Ronald and even if he was, he is MY Ferret now. You can keep Parkinson, I caught a lucky break when you decided to cheat on me. I now see what kind of person you really are." Ron's face goes as red as his hair and he lets out a huff before stomping away. I watch as Pansy follows and I can't help but laugh. 

Now that they are gone I sit back down and let out a sigh. 

"No wonder I recognized the voice." I say with a laugh. "Who would have thought out of everybody that could have owned that cat it was our two ex's." 

"I'm not going to lie. With our luck it didn't surprise me all that much." I nudge his shoulder playfully and he laughs. We continue eating our breakfast and enjoy our peaceful morning, both of us quickly forgetting the event that just took place. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After breakfast we make our way back to the flats, this time walking into Draco's. Draco takes a seat on the couch and I lay my head on his lap, my legs stretched across the rest of the couch. 

"So futures?" He questions. I glance up at his face and shrug. 

"What about futures?" 

"Well, how many kids do you see in the future?" I sit there and think about it. I never really thought about a number I've just always known I wanted kids. 

"I never really thought about it, definitely more than one though. I was an only child and always wished for a sibling." I explain. 

"I've always thought that 3 was a good number. Like you I hated being an only child, two would be alright but for some reason I have always pictured myself coming home from work to be greeted by three little ones running around." I am surprised by how much thought had been but into his answer. 

"You've really thought it through, haven't you." He shrugs and smiles down at me. 

"I guess so. Family was always one thing I wanted, after the childhood I had I never want my future child to feel the way I did." He gets a far off look in his eyes and he seems to zone out. 

When he continued to stare off for a few minutes I started to grow worry. I sat up slowly and placed my hand on his cheek. This causes him to snap out of his trance and his eyes meet mine. 

"Are you ok?" I ask while looking into his eyes for any sign of what is going through his mind.  

"Yes, sorry I just got to thinking about some stuff." He once again smiles and stands up. "I think I better get ready for my night shift. Feel free to make yourself at home." He says before walking off.

'Night shift' I think to myself, as far as I knew Draco hadn't mentioned anything about working nightshifts and St. Mungo's. I continue to lay on the couch for about 20 more minutes before Draco walks back out of his room. He is dressed blank dress pants and a grey button up. 

"What time do you have to be at work?" I ask making room for him to sit beside me. 

"I have to be there about 4 and I get off at 6ish in the morning. I normally don't work such a late shift but nights have been short staffed for some reason. Dr. Alto thinks it is great work for me since I will be alone for these shifts." Draco gets a proud smile on his face and his eyes light up as he talks about his job. I glance up at the clock on his wall and see it reads 2:30. 

"How about I make you something to eat before you go? I know it must be hard to fit in a meal in the trauma ward." I offer while standing up. 

"That sounds amazing." I dig through his fridge and find that he has shrimp. In the pantry I find angel hair pasta and alfredo. "Shrimp alfredo." I say over my shoulder without looking over at him. 

"Sounds perfect to me." I smile to myself and begin getting the food cooking. I sauté the shrimp with some garlic and a little bit of lemon juice while the noodles boil in the pot next to me. 

"Now this is a sight I could get use too." I hear from behind me as Draco wraps his arms around my waist and lays his head against my shoulder. 

"Is it now?" I sigh out, relaxing in his arms. In this very moment I wish we could stay like this, in this moment I feel safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~

After I finish cooking dinner it is about 3:15, we quickly finish our and soon I am saying goodbye to Draco. 

"Have a good shift. I'll see you in the morning." I place a kiss on Draco's lips and he pulls me in close. His arms wrap around my waist and I feel him smile into the kiss. 

He all to soon pulls back from the kiss and continues to smile. 

"Have a good night as well. I love you." He places a kiss on my forehead before stepping fully back, getting ready to apparate to work. 

"I love you too." I say just as he starts to spin in place, and just like that he is gone. After cleaning up from eating I make sure everything is ok for when he gets back in the morning and head back into my flat. 

'Maybe one day I won't have to return to my flat, maybe one day I will just be home' I think as I lock my dorm behind me.