Chapter 30

Hermione POV

The Next Morning

Waking up to the sun streaming into the room through the window, I find myself laying in bed alone. Sitting up I look around confused, Draco worked yesterday therefore he should be off today. As I run my hand over his side of the bed it is cool to the touch, meaning he hasn't been in bed in a while. The clock on my nightstand reads 7:30, so I didn't sleep in super late.

Getting up I wrap my robe around my body and make my way down the stairs. "Draco?" I call out, turning the corner into our kitchen which I find empty. Getting worried I quickly make my way through the house checking every room. I only stop when I spot a familiar blonde head sitting on a bench outside. Pulling my robe tightly around me I make my way out into the cool morning.

"You're up early." I state while taking a seat next to him.

"Mother sent me an owl about an hour ago." He lets out a sigh and I see him look over to the table next to him. There a letter with the Malfoy crest sits.

"Anything important?"

"Mother said that my Father has received the right to finish his sentence out at home. Apparently the last two years he has been nothing but the  perfect inmate." My eyes widen at the news.

"When will he be released?" Draco shrugs.

"She is unsure it could be at any moment. I think he will talking them into releasing him over to mother today." I lean into Draco's side hoping to provide some kind of comfort to him. He seems truly upset over the news of his father.  Draco snakes his arm around my waist, his hand resting on my stomach.

Do you plan on seeing him once he is home?" He immediately shakes his head.

"I don't want anything to do with that man. He ruined my childhood and put me through so much."

"But he is still  your father. If he really is this model  inmate maybe he has changed for the better." Draco scoffs.

"Father has always been good at pretending. Knowing him this is all an act and the second he is home things will go back to how things were."

"But we do not know that for sure." I try to reason with him but he is not having any of it.

"Hermione I am done talking about is." He stands up and makes his way inside without another word. I let out a huff at his attitude towards the situation, while I understand where he is coming from I also know he wishes he could have been close with his father when he was younger. Him being allowed to finish out his sentence in the manor might be that chance. Deciding to let him have time to cool down I remain sitting on the bench, letting the rising sun keep me warm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About an hour later I head back inside, hoping that Draco has time to cool down and is in a better mood. As soon as I open the back door I hear rustling coming from the foyer.

"Draco?"  I walk into the room and see that he is setting a ward up on the front door.

"Is something the matter?" I ask as I approach him. He turns around to face me and I see he is once again upset.

"Somehow the Prophet got word of where we are living now and came to try and get pictures and do an interview. I tried to be polite and ask them to leave but we both know how that paper is." I nod agreeing. Thankfully I have been able to keep a low profile and kept the profit away the last two years but I knew that would change once Draco and I were together. Strangely enough this is only the second time the have bothered us. The first time being not long after Narcissa's gala.