Chapter 5

6th Year

Flashback

"Come on Draco lets go." She says with a laugh leading me up to the astronomy  tower. Tonight she asked if I would dress up in my dress robes for a surprise. It didn't take much convincing on my part. My father may be about to ruin the one good thing in my life, but I WILL spend one more night with the love of my life. 

"Slow down. How can you run up these stairs in heels?" I explain trying to keep up with my energy filled girlfriend. 

'My girlfriend' 8 months together and the phrase still feels foreign to me.  I look back up at her and she just smiles. 

"Who said anything about heels." I see her lift the end of her dress slightly and her bare feet poke out from under. I laugh my eyes at the Gryffindor and we continue making our way up the stairs.

In the Astronomy tower there are candles set up for light and  and a small basket sitting next to it. 

"What's all this about?" I ask while pulling her body close to mine. Enjoy the feeling of her body as I know what is coming once our night ends. 

"Well, I have something I want to tell you and I figured what better way than a nice fancy dinner." She says while kissing my cheek. 

"So what do you have to tell me?" I  ask eagerly.

"I can't tell you now, that would ruin the night I have planned. First I was thinking we eat dinner,  then maybe star gazing, and the finish our night I tell you." She says while once again pulling me along. 

I conjure up a table for us to sit at and Hermione pulls out the food. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After dinner Hermione tries to get me to star gaze but I on the other hand have different plans. I pull her up and wrap my arms around her thin waist. We sway back and forth without any music just the sound of our breaths. 

"Hermione......" She lifts her head off my chest and looks up at me. 

"I think...... no...... Hermione I love you." She looks at me surprised for a second before a smile takes over her face.

"Wow, way to take my thunder." She says with a laugh. "I love you too, Draco Malfoy." With out hesitation I pull her in close for a kiss. In the 8 months we have been together I never thought I would hear the words leave her mouth. That's what makes my next actions so hard. 

With tears pooling in my eyes I pull back from her embrace. She looks at me confused. 

"What's wrong Draco?" Without an answer I slowly pull out my wand. 

"Please don't hate me." I plea stepping farther away. 

"Draco you're scaring me. What are you doing." Now she has tears running down her face. 

"There is a war coming Hermione and you can't be with someone like me." 

"Of course I can. I love you." She tries to reason. I just shake my head. 

"No Hermione. You can't I am a marked man." I say pulling my sleeve up showing the dark mark that now brands my arm.

"That doesn't matter to me Draco. I fell in love with the caring Draco, I know you won't let that change the man I love." She exclaims while reaching for my hand. 

"It doesn't matter if I don't change who I am. As long as you have a connection to me you are in even more trouble than being friends with Harry. They will use you as blackmail to get me to do whatever they want. I won't have that, I need you to not remember me. You need to go on with your life and defeat the dark lord. Help Harry with his fate, Merlin knows he won't survive without you." 

"But..."

"I have to do this. I have to protect you. I love you." I raise my wand towards her and I see her take a deep breath. She slightly nods and looks me straight in the eyes. 

"I love you too, Draco." Before I have time to change my mind I whisper the life changing words. 

"Obliviate." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Draco?"I open my eyes and look up from my seat on the ground and see a bushy haired figure standing above me. "Are you ok?" She asks while squatting down. I shake my head as I continue to take raggedy breaths. I feel her place a hand on my shoulder before placing her other one on my hand. I look up at her and she gives me a small smile.

"I need you to focus on your breathing. Try and match my breaths." She takes my hand and places it where I can feel her breathing. I focus in on her and with in a few minutes I am breathing normally and can talk. 

"Thank you." I say weakly.

"Your welcome. What happened that caused you to panic?" I shrug acting like I wasn't fully sure. 

"There's no telling, since the war they just come on randomly." I explain which is partially true, there are some days I have random attacks since the war. 

"I get that. Sometimes the same thing happens to me. The thing I found helps me after is a good cup of tea and meal. Come on you can come back to my place until you calm down a little more." She says while pulling me up off the ground. She keeps my hand once we are standing and I feel the familiar swirl of appreating.