Chapter 29

Hermione POV

"Alright Ms. Granger if you wouldn't mind taking a seat I have a few questions before we begin." Healer Ellis says as I walk into her office. A week after Draco and I's conversation I was able to get an appointment to meet with the healer. 

"So Mr. Malfoy tells me that you are worried about conceiving correct?" I nod and fiddle with the rings on my fingers. 

"Yes that is correct. We have been trying since early January without any luck." She nods and looks at my file on her desk. 

"So I see that you have been on the potion since you were 16, and you have taken it ever since." Again I nod. 

"I have only missed it maybe 3 months out of all these years and that was due to circumstances during the war." I explain thinking back to when we were on the run and there were a few times I did not have access to any. 

"Ah, well that short amount of time should not have any major effects on how long it lasts in your system. I also see that you have taken a considerable amount of curse damage to your body." 

"Umm yes, I have been under the cruciatus curse once for an extended amount of time, plus hit with several unknown spells while fights." I try to recall the damage I have taken but due to how many times I have been injured it is hard to remember everything. 

"And what about your arm?" I glance down at my left arm where my scar will forever sit. 

"Oh um yes. Bellatrix Lestrange used a knife infused with dark magic to cut into my arm. Healer Aldo looked at it a while back when it split open in my sleep. He confirmed that it will never truly heal but other than that it looks ok. They were able to keep the dark magic from fully taking over my body when it first happened. Though I am not sure how well it worked, the person who cast the spell is not a healer." I think back to the shell cottage when Fleur helped clean my wound.  Healer Ellis takes notes while I explain, nodding along to everything. At the end of my story she sets her quill down and looks at me with a sad look in her eyes. I immediately know what she is about to tell me. 

"Well from what I am hear there is a chance that this knife might the cause of your issues." My heart drops at this. "But, I want to run some blood work and test to see what we can do." She gives me a small smile before gesturing to the table on the other side of the room. Setting my purse down I make my way to the table and sit on it. 

Healer Ellis begins to take blood and run a couple diagnostic spells on me. With each result her smile turns more and more into a frown.  

"It's not good is it?" I ask in a small voice. She lets out a sigh and that is all the confirmation I need. "I should have known. Draco thought it might be because the potion is still working its way out of my system but something told me that it wasn't." 

"No that isn't it." She shakes her head and looks over the papers that have been magically printing as each result comes in. "Give me one moment, I will be right back. I need a second opinion on something. " She quickly exits the room and I am left sitting there nervously. Healer Ellis is the best in her field, what could be so bad that she needs a second opinion. 

Before I have a lot of time to over think what could have happened Healer Ellis comes back, this time accompanied by someone. 

"Hermione?" Draco asks as he walks into the room. Healer Ellis nods before holding out her test results to him. I watch as his eyes scan over the paperwork and his eyes widen. He looks up at me and then back down at the paper work several times. 

"What is it?" I ask nervously. 

"Well it appears that I was wrong Ms. Granger." 

"What do you mean. Is it worse than you thought?" She shakes her head before looking at Draco. 

"The opposite actually. Hermione you're pregnant." Draco says when he finally looks up from the paper, tears in his eyes. 

I sit there dumbfounded. "What do you mean I am pregnant, there is no way that is possible. I haven't missed a single cycle, I even took a test less than a month ago to be absolutely sure." I tell them, still confused on how this happened. 

"I'm not sure how to explain it, but according to your tests you are about 4 weeks along. If you used a muggle test then there is a chance it was to early for the test to detect your pregnancy." Healer Ellis explains while taking the paperwork out of Draco's hands. He is still standing there in shock, his eyes trained on me. "Just to make sure everything is ok I want to run a few more test. While you were able to get pregnant I am still worried that the damage your body has gone through could still cause issues with your pregnancy." I nod and lean back, allowing her to do whatever is needed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After my appointment Draco and I head home, Healer Ellis gave Draco the rest of the day off because it appeared he would be unable to focus on much. It is only just after 1 when we return home so I decided to make a late lunch and enjoy the screened in back porch. 

With a good book in my lap and my lunch next to me I enjoy a peaceful few hours lost in another world. 

"Thought I'd find you out here." I glance behind me to see Draco standing in the door frame. He walks over and picks my feet up so he is able to sit on the couch next to me. I close my book and switch positions so I am leaning into his shoulder. His left hand immediately resting on my flat stomach. 

"I can't believe you are actually pregnant." He says in aw. I nod, agreeing with him. 

"I was so ready for Healer Ellis to tell me I physically could not have children that I didn't even think of what would happen if I was already pregnant." 

"I would ask if you were excited, but I feel like after our conversation you are." He says with a smile while looking down at me. 

"I am excited, a little scared especially after hearing how Bellatrix's knife could cause issues but I feel like if I follow everything Healer Ellis said I should be fine." I explain. Draco nods agreeing with me. 

"I won't let anything happen to the two of you." He says before placing a kiss to the side of my head. My smile widens and I sit there enjoying my time with my little family.