THIRTY-EIGHT

Niven woke up to the sight of Silas putting out their fire. He was confused for a second, wondering why he was with the male when he remembered the two of them camping out because of Vasili's lesson.

Silas no longer had his wings out which disappointed him a little. He was hoping to see it more clearly now since the sun was beginning to rise up.

The angel noticed Niven's stare and glanced over to the boy just as he finished dusting off the dirt from his pants.

"We're leaving soon," he began. "Prepare your things."

"You didn't wake me up," the blond muttered. "I thought I was taking over your shift when you got tired."

"I'm fine. Here, eat this." Silas grabbed a fruit from his side, tossing it over to Niven who caught it clumsily.

"Wait, where are you going?" Niven instantly took the jackets off and stood up once he saw Silas beginning to move. He just woke up, did they have to leave so early? Silas also seemed tired to even walk.

His partner replied, "I'm scoping out the areas again. I swear I heard something last night, but there wasn't anything moving. I'm checking again."

Niven hurriedly offered, "I can come."

"It's fine, just stay here for a minute." Silas didn't wait for Niven, already picking up his jacket he let the blond borrow. The angel left quickly afterwards, but not before sparing Niven an unknown glance. The boy was left by himself, silently crunching on his apple as he thought.

It's been a day and a night so Niven was sure they'll be able to complete this little lesson Vasili has for them. He wondered about the others, if they were already there or not. Niven also thought about Mirren and Agustine. The jaguar beastman would probably have a hard time with Silas' brother, mostly because the blond knew how much Mirren disliked having to be around him. On the other hand, there's no doubt Agustine was happy to go Jinx-free, even if it wasn't for a long time.

Niven frowned a little, finding it hard to believe Vasili just now had the audacity to give something to nullify Agustine's corrupted ability. It'd been better if their professor gave it to the demon earlier.

Tossing away the remnants of his apple, Niven thought about Arien, wondering if his alpha was doing fine. After what Silas said last night, he shouldn't have to worry whether or not Arien could handle himself out here. But the fact there were dangerous creatures still lurking around, ones even Vasili hasn't seen, it unnerved him. But then again, Arien could already be at the end, probably waiting for the others.

The boy stayed in that area for a while, merely sitting down in boredom while he waited for Silas to come back. The sun was already up and he felt it's been at least an hour since the angel left. Niven couldn't wait anymore and decided to go ahead and just find the male. He'll listen to Silas' scoldings later.

Just as Niven was getting up, he planned on going back to that stream he saw from last night, but then he heard something rustling around in the bushes. The boy turned around, backing up slightly from the area and narrowed his eyes.

He shouldn't stay here without Silas.

Niven quickly grabbed his stuff and stalked off to where Silas left. He somehow had a bad feeling rising up in his stomach. He shouldn't have left that angel alone by himself.

The blond picked up his pace even faster and son found himself back on the trail with the ribbons. He scouted the area for a while, trying to figure just where Silas had gone. The angel wouldn't have left Niven behind so he should still be around in these areas.