EIGHT

King was a very strange creature. But no matter how odd he looked, Niven was always satisfied with the little penguin and happily looked after him. When they entered his dorm room, his familiar took it upon himself to grab a rag out of his top hat, scrubbing the floor and furniture. King also had a small broom that he excitedly used almost every hour.

He was exactly like a maid, always cleaning and looking over the area. He also made Niven's bed and arranged his pajamas for the night. King also grabbed some night caps for Niven to use from his top hat.

Although the stuff he did were bizarre, the thing that amazed Niven the most was when he opened the door to use his restroom, King waddled out with a newspaper under his left wing and whistled. King looked up at his master and tipped his hat down in a small greeting before waddling away to sit on the couch and read the rest of the newspaper.

He really liked this penguin. There was no doubt King was the best choice for him.

But as much as he would've liked to stick around the small penguin, Niven had to finish his homework he missed at class. While he was busy organizing some books on his desk, a small stack of papers appeared in front of him and plopped themselves on top of his desk with a note attached on the top.

Gabriel went to his classes and got the homework for him. Niven sighed, there was so much to do for him.

And so he pulled up another all-nighter, studying away while trying to multitask into a few business conversations with other people on the phone and work on his laptop. But even though he managed to complete that, there were still documents for him to fill out and several more papers he hasn't even begun for his classes tomorrow.

As he slaved the night away with tired eyes, Niven hardly noticed his door creaking open. King popped his head in and watched his master for a few seconds before hurriedly waddling through the halls to grab his top hat he left on the couch.

When King came back, he carried a heavy tray which held some warm tea. Not only that, but the penguin had some difficulties dragging a large blanket. It was a wonder that he didn't trip.

"Eep!"

Niven looked down and thought he began hallucinating things. King used all his strength to place the tray on the boy's lap and draped the blanket over his feet. The blond gave a small smile and patted the penguin's head in appreciation. He then placed the tray on the side of the desk and grabbed King, carefully putting him on his lap and wrapped the blanket around themselves.

The remainder of the night wasn't so bad after that.

The next morning, Niven didn't have to worry so much about getting ready or having breakfast made. Every was already prepared. His uniform was neatly folded on top of his bed, and there was a large portion of food on the dining table. Niven was curious as to who made it until he found King waddling around with a big apron, waving around a spatula.

He didn't want to question how the penguin could cook.

King happily dashed over to Niven and stood on the boy's feet as his wings encased themselves around his legs. "Honk!"

It was really nice having a familiar. He should've done this ages ago.

By the time Niven walked out his dorm room, he said goodbye to King and watched as the penguin hurriedly grabbed an apple from his top hat to give to his master. Niven couldn't help but accept it with an awkward smile and finally closed the door with a sigh.

"What are you sighing about? Don't tell me you missed me!" Niven glanced over to see Mirren happily waiting for him at the end of the hall. The brunet wore another charming smile with his eyes crinkling.