SEVENTY-EIGHT

Niven sat in silence in front of the vice-principal. He gave a few glimpses to the man here and there seeing as how quiet Remiah also was.

But then the man finally put down the documents on his desk and lifted up his face, giving a small grin to the boy.

"How have you been so far? I assume you're feeling a lot better now that you have your ability back."

"I'm doing alright. What did you need me for?"

Remiah looked a little excited and gave off such a happy smile that it made Niven slightly bewildered.

"You know, I've always worried about you being here at the academy since your rank had been placed at the very bottom. Not only that, but your Luck ability had been suppressing the rest of your powers so you couldn't control your other abilities properly. I've wanted to ask you something, but I'm not too sure if you'll agree."

"What is it?"

Remiah's grin faltered. "How about I take your Luck away?"

Niven was instantly alarmed and paled upon the mention of having his ability being taken away once more.

Remiah noticed the frightened look on the boy, yet he still smiled gently. "Don't be so scared. After all, the rest of my plans have failed so I'm trying another method out for you."

"What are you talking about? What plans?"

"Worry about that later. Right now, I want you to think about letting me take away your power for just a little bit. I know you've always struggled with having it gone before and all, but I think this would be a good chance for you to tap into your other abilities so you won't have to worry about suppressing them any longer. You understand, don't you?"

Remiah's smile widened at the image of Niven hesitating for a second.

"I can't go through that again... it's too painful for me to-"

"It's painful either way if you keep relying on your Luck. Besides, don't you want to use Magic properly? I've never even heard of you using your third ability."

"I don't know if I can agree."

Remiah pulled a frown and sighed a little. He placed his chin on the palm of his hand and gave Niven a questioning look, something which made the student lean back further against his seat uneasily.

"I suppose if you're too scared then it can't be helped." He shrugged and waved the boy off. "You're free to leave now."

Niven was confused. "Now?"

The man nodded and said, "I only asked you to come here to see if you were willing to take away your Luck. I thought it may be the best time to do so since you're already familiar with the whole academy and you've got a good group of friends willing to help you out. But if you're unwilling then I can't force you, but be careful not to rely so much on it. You might get sick again even with your Luck."

"How... did you know that?" Niven was perturbed.

Remiah offered a comforting gaze filled with pity that unnerved the boy further.

"Your uncle and I are close," he replied. "How could I not know your hardships? I truly want the best for you and believe this might be a good way to help."

Niven gripped the armrest of his seat. He couldn't stop staring at the man in front of him who still kept a gentle grin on his face.

What Remiah said wasn't wrong. He was actually right in some ways. Niven even took off Roselia's earring which had previously helped reign in his illness from the past because the blond believed he could do well without it.