chapter 38

When I awoke, I couldn't move at first because my limbs were so stiff. Groaning, I attempted to stretch my arms above my head which I quickly realized I couldn't because my arms were completely squashed between Ryder and Eros.

Their sleeping faces made me reminiscent of the adventure we shared only hours before. Last night had reinforced the strength of our friendship, that while we might've gone through some rough spots, we loved each other dearly. Truthfully, I had been wary of Twin Peaks because of the history it held for Eros and I, but Ryder kept us laughing and for the first time in a very long time, I was able to enjoy Eros' presence platonically. We had picked up McDonalds on the way home and ended up watching the third Harry Potter film in Ryder's room before completely knocking out, McDonalds bags littering the floor.

Last night we were quite simply, happy.

Wiggling slightly, I became aware of Ryder's breath fanning over the top of my head, his hand lazily speed across my waist, his leg thrown over mine, pining me to the bed.

On the other side of the bed, Eros was a bit closer. His head was ducked towards mine, cheek resting on my shoulder as he softly snored. His hair tickled my chin, and as I gazed at his sleeping figure, it took me a moment to realize one of his arms was curled around mine and the other held my hand.

It was really cute if I was being honest, but I really had to pee.

I groaned louder, hoping this would wake up my best friends, but instead they continued to snore on. I began to squirm feverishly in their grips. "Guys, c'mon, I gotta pee!"

Faintly, Ryder yawned and moved his body away from mine, stretching up and opening his eyes to look at me. He made a face when he saw Eros and I. "Even in his sleep he's in love with you!"

"Ha-ha!" I said and with the freedom of half my body, I carefully extracted myself out of Eros' grip. Almost immediately, his hand stretched out as though to look at me.

I pretended my heart didn't melt.

Sliding off of Ryder's bed, I yawned, rubbing my eyes as I blindly walked into his ensuite, closing the door with my foot. When I opened my eyes and saw myself in the mirror, I was not surprised to see my makeup smudged all over my face. My hair was certainly a mess too— though I don't think Angelica would approve of this kind of messiness. Ryder's shirt that I had worn to bed felt soft against my skin and hung a little past my mid-thigh.

As I peed, I rested my elbow against my thigh, reflecting on the complete and gratifying fun and joy the three of us had last night. I can't really remember the last time we'd been so careless as though we were simply just best friends with no other cares in the world other than our grades.

My mind wandered to the lack of tension between Eros and I, and my body softened considerably. We finally found our balance, where we could be friends and just be that. And while I was so grateful that we were finally good, I couldn't help but wonder if we were ready to be in a relationship.

I stepped out of the bathroom and found Eros awake and engaged in a very serious debate with Ryder about why mint flavored things kind of tasted like toothpaste. Furrowing my brow, I pivoted back into the bathroom to grab the toothbrush I had in Ryder's bathroom and listened to their arguments.

"Mint isn't even always the flavor of toothpaste! Sometimes it is cinnamon and children's toothpaste is that weird bubble gum kind!" Eros pointed out, pulling Ryder's sheets taut as he meticulously made up the bed.

"But the vast majority of toothpaste is marketed and sold as mint flavored! And when you want that fresh feeling you chew mint gum! I can't see any good reason therefore to eat mint flavored things." Ryder countered.