chapter 14

He unexpectedly picked me up later three days after our fight. It was four in the morning, and my phone buzzed irritably for five minutes or so before I gathered the strength to rise from the fluffy comforter and see the three missed calls and the two texts from Eros.

    Eros Zane:

    I'm outside. Let's go.

    I was slightly peeved reading this, did he expect me to just leave the house, at four in the freaking morning, especially since we weren't even on the best of terms now?

    I hadn't apologized to Eros when I saw him that next day at school, he pissed me off too much. I was pissed that he was right- my dad could've killed someone, he could've killed himself. I didn't tell Eros that when the police found my dad's car, it was parked at a Hampton Inn and supposedly, he had bought a room for himself.

    He got there safely, without any disturbances, any deaths, any accidents.

    We ignored each other for three days, and those three days were almost normal, if it weren't for the awkward silences that lapsed between Ryder, Eros, and I.

    Deciding against my better judgement, I texted Eros back.

    Alice Black:   

Uh. I didn't realize we had plans— at four in the morning.   

    Eros Zane:

    Now Alice.

    Alice Black:

    It's four in the morning Eros.

    Eros Zane:

    I will drag your body from your bed missy, don't tempt me.

    I pursed my lips at my phone. My surprise I felt then, wasn't misplaced by the confusion I also felt. Eros, wanted to hang out with me- at four in the morning, three hours before we'd have to awaken for school, which hinted at the idea of being a booty call, which was ridiculous under the circumstances, Eros and I were not like that, far from that actually.

    So I let myself believe that it was that: the surprise and confusion that led me to sneaking down the stairs in the early morning curious on what Eros wanted. I refused to believe that it was the excitement that Eros actually sought me out that led to my actions.

    Outside, he sat in his gray car, his body slightly illuminated from the light that was cast in the car, a vast difference to the darkened sky that didn't even have a hint of a sun yet. He saw me and unlocked the car, even though he seemed a bit more nervous than usual.

    I learned up against the banister of my house, watching him carefully. Eros was a flawed character, that I had no doubt, but what could've it been that he seemed me out at 4 in the morning?

    His arm reached over across the console and he pushed my door open calling, "Are you coming or what?"

    I bit my lip and took a deep breath.

    Four words played over and over in my head: don't fuck it up.

    My body clumsily slid into the car. "What's up?" I asked, although it was obstructed by the wide yawn that escaped my lips, "sorry," I apologized sheepishly.