Chapter 2

The bell sounded, causing students to jump up and rush to the door like animals. Mr. Urie stood near wishing kids a good weekend and reminding them to work on their assignments at home. As soon as the last students filed out of the doorway, he turned his attention back to I, who was sitting and chewing her nails nervously.

"Okay, so is it just that you're having trouble finding something to write about?" He asks, walking back to his desk, and having a seat. I scoot my chair closer to the opposite side of him, and nod my head.

"It's just that I don't really admire much." He looks at me dumbfoundedly for a while before speaking.

"You what?" He lets out an exasperated breath.
"What do you mean you don't admire much? There is SO much in this world to admire, and especially at your age."
He just shakes his head dumbfoundedly, waiting for me to fill the silence, but I don't, so he continues.
"Okay, so lets start with... Uh, what do you do when you get home?"

"I eat, shower, do homework, and go to bed."

"That's it?..."

"Basically..."

"Well Scarlett, I know you have an iPhone. What do you do on it?"

"I guess I read quite a bit on here." I say, pulling my phone out of my pocket, and placing it on his desk.

"So it seems that you admire reading." He smiles widely, but I shake my head no. His smile fades slightly.

"Not really, a boring hobby I guess." He suddenly reaches over to grab my phone, and clicks on the home button.

"Wait, w-what are you-" I stutter reaching for my phone. He pulls it out of my reach and stares at my lock screen.

"Who's this with you?" He asks, holding my phone to face me, but still keeping it out of my reach. It was a selfie that my older brother, Matthew, and I had taken together last summer, he looked so happy in the picture.

"My brother, now can I have my phone back?" I say, still shocked that he had just taken it from me. I realize then, that I didn't have a passcode lock on it, and slightly panic, wanting my phone back quickly.

"Oh, I thought it was a boyfriend or something." he says quietly, bringing his eyes to look at me.
"Do you have one?" I'm a little taken aback by his question, but I just shake my head.
He turns my phone back to face him, and examines the picture for a few seconds longer, before clicking it off.

"You look like him... Why do you seem so upset talking about your brother?" He cocks his head to the side and peers into my eyes. I avert my gaze and put my head down, hesitant on answering.

"Because I miss him." I finally say, my voice barely above a whisper. His mouth parts slightly as if he's pondering something.

"Where is he?" he speaks slowly, as if he is trying not to step on imaginary conversation boundaries by asking this question.
I pick at my nails for a little while before I reply.

"I don't know." I look up to meet concerned eyes, as he raises an eyebrow in confusion. I feel as if I have to continue, so I say,

"He ran away about 5months ago, and I we haven't heard from him in the mean time." the silence following my statement was aggravating me so I finish with,
"He was like my best friend."

Mr.Urie is silent for a moment, and when he opens his mouth I expect him to say something sweet and profound but instead he takes the opportunity to slide a piece of paper and a pen my way and say
"I think we've found you something to write about." and I see what he's getting at so I grab the pen and go to work.