Chapter 1

I strutted into English, slinging my backpack over my chair, and having a seat. I always sat in the front of the class. Most thought it was because I was a goody-two-shoes, and although me and learning had a friends with benefits kind of relationship, that was not the case. No one knew about my little crush on Mr. Urie, and I wanted to keep it that way, but why not sit close and admire him secretly?

Although school had only been in session for about a month, I felt we had a pretty close relationship. We talked often and sometimes I felt he knew I liked him, or maybe I was just being paranoid. But, at the same time I always felt like he looked at me differently than he did to all the other girls in class. I was also kind of a teacher's pet, and I wasn't embarrassed by it. Him and I usually had little conversations before the day began, and he would sometimes stop me after class to tell me how good my writing assignments were. I just wanted so bad for him to see me the way I saw him...

Mr. Urie came into the classroom with his briefcase in his hand. He sat it down gently on his desk, and turned to his computer to project today's assignment on the board.
"Hey, Scarlett, you mind hittin' the lights for me? Thanks."
he said, giving me a slight teacher-y wink. These were the small meaningless things he did that just made me feel special.

"Alright class, as you can see, today I'm proposing a two-page assignment on something or someone you admire. It can be anyone or thing you want, so just don't stress, give it some thought. And remember to have fun and make it your own." I don't know what he meant by don't stress, I didn't admire many people, and I'm really not into a lot of interesting things so this was going to be difficult.
I tapped my foot nervously against the floor, and waited for him to continue.

"The assignment is due next Friday. We can start working on it today in class if you'd like. Let me see a show of hands?" I obviously kept my palm pressed firmly against my desk, but I didn't really need to raise my hand anyways, considering the entire rest of the class did it for me.
"Great." I mumbled.

"Well, it seems we have a unanimous vote. We'll begin writing today." He smiled a bright heart warming smile. "You have the rest of the class period to work, I'll just be grading your vocabulary tests."

I sat for about ten minutes contemplating all the choices I had and weighing out which ones would be more interesting than others. I finally gave up and decided to go talk to him instead, just to see if he could help.

"Hey Urie..." I said, pulling my chair closer to his desk.
"Oh, hey Scarlett, what's the matter?" He gave me a concerned look, as I never really come speak to him during work time in class.

"Oh nothing, just having a hard time thinking of something to write about." I say timidly.
"You need some one on one to help you out?" He asks with a seemingly shy smile. I'd stayed after enough times to work on assignments that he always kept his schedule cleared just incase. It also gave me an opportunity to spend a little more time talking to him.

"Yeah, thanks that would be great." A few girls over hear us talking and snicker from behind me. A sudden look crosses over Mr. Urie's face. I can't decide whether it's more anger or worry as he calls to them, "Hey, girls? That doesn't sound like you're doing much writing." He descreetly rolls his eyes and then focuses his attention back on me.

"Okay, sounds like a plan." Another smile spreads across his face, causing me to send one in return.