trying to return to normality

I was now back at school and Colton had been taking the one taking me to and from classes. I think it was the permission to leave lessons early that really made him want to; especially for Mr Hart's math class, which he helped me pack up almost ten minutes early every time, a smug expression on his face as we pass the ancient teacher who scowled constantly, a booming laugh escaping his lips as soon as he shut the classroom door. To be honest I think Mr Hart's face is permanently stuck like that, just like when your parents say it after you pulled a face when you were younger.

Brooke and her minions had been exceptionally quiet in school, probably a combination of the situation with the football team and the accident. She hadn't even been near me in any of my classes which has been brilliant, I can focus on school without her constant chattering or insults at any opportunity. Overall I was feeling a lot better. My grades were going well and I was having a great time with the stable friendship group, even with the breakups and relationships, we were all happy and enjoying school before university.

Colton, as well as everyone in my life, had refused to let me drive anywhere alone, clearly paranoid about the accident happening again. To be honest I was fine with it. Since the accident I was paranoid about even getting in a car, choosing to take the bus to school instead. After many failed attempts, Dad managed to get me into the passenger seat of his car, in a field away from any traffic but it was a start, from there I progressed until I was stable with Colton driving me to school and back. 

I had always loved driving and the thought of being unable to was so frustrating. Even after a few days of not driving was a weird feeling for me, I missed the power of being behind the wheel, the freedom to just go anywhere quickly but now it scared me. I never really considered the dangers of driving unless it was for a race. The idea of even racing again made me feel physically sick, I had only been driving a couple of times with someone else in the car as if I was a learner all over again. Going ridiculously fast against insanely competitive drivers was terrifying now. It didn't take me more than three days to decide to retire as Baroness.

•   •   •   •   •   • 

"Why do I have to do this." I whined over history homework, communist Russia. (best A level history module!) 

"Because." Chloe replied from next to me as she looked at the Russian Civil War notes in front of her.

"But I'm fine." 

"Just revise the Russian Civil War Belle, we have a test next week."  

"It's boring though." I complained. 

"Trotsky and Lenin made opposition into human icicles." She mentioned, piping my interest. 

"Ooh." I looked for the information on my notes, finding nothing.

"You have to revise the October Revolution first." She looked at my notes.

"Fine." I waited a solid five seconds, "Do they kill them then freeze them or freeze them to death?" I quizzed. 

"I don't know Belle." She replied tiredly.

"Do they freeze the people in individual statues or have a huge block of ice with a group of dead people in them? Would you be awake until you freeze or would you go into shock and like faint in the ice?" I asked rapidly, random and morbid questions spewing from my mind.

"I have no idea."

"How long would it take to freeze to death like that? I know its cold in Russia but still." 

"Belle!"

"Sorry." I quietened down. 

"Why do I put up with you?" 

"Because I'm amazing." I smiled like a Cheshire Cat at her, my head tilted and everything.

She just sighed and carried on revising. "Where's Colton when you need him to distract you?" She whispered but not quiet enough for me not to hear.

"Working. You know at the garage on the far side of town." 

"Leroy's? how is that place even legal?" 

"Who's asking questions now?" I smirk at her with an eyebrow raised. 

"Oh shut up." She shoved my shoulder lightly.

I cackled, almost falling off my bed as she grabbed me just in time. Both us exploding with laughter, our revision taking a slide to the floor as we rolled on the bed like unturned turtles.

"You know what I mean though. It's in the best dangerous gang area in the town." I nodded. "The Satan's Angels had been quiet for a while and now they're everywhere, it's weird." 

"I know what you mean." Ignoring the wrong name.

"Someone said they were going after that football team, you know, the ones with the missing teammates." 

I nodded, a sick feeling starting in my stomach. The case against the team for what happened at my party had been dropped due to lack of evidence but from my knowledge Mason and Kaiden still hadn't been found. "They still haven't found them?" 

"No-one told you? Some tourist on the news in Vegas said they saw two guys wondering round in underwear, the police looked around but by that time that happened they had managed to hitchhike back with a group of male sex workers and get home. Police think it was the Soul Catchers or whatever they're called for drug money or something." 

"Huh." I shrugged. 

I knew that the Soul Snatchers would never just drop people who owed them money in a different state. They would steal the person's stuff and out them in hospital, whatever happened to the football team definitely them. It wasn't the Lucifer's Angels either, Nick and Dad had been leading whilst I was in the hospital and probably will for a few months until I'm ready to be the leader they need. I was nowhere as physically or mentally stable enough at the moment, I'd hate for anyone to be hurt or killed because I push myself too fast, especially with the Soul Snatchers knowing that I am not handling the majority of our business at the moment. 

"Gossip was all over school when we found out."

"I bet it was." 

We picked up the fallen notes and continued to revise. I managed to revise the majority of the unit with colour-coded flashcards, Elle coming in to intervene with news of dinner.

After dinner I decided to go to the base. Not wanting to drag anyone away to drive me, I ran. The doctors had said it would be good to build up the muscle wastage I had developed whilst in a cast anyway so it was fine with me not driving.