Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"Oh really?" Cora said, turning to face us as Caitlin nodded.

"What if I create a serum that will terminate the polymerization reaction? Essentially forcing the bonds to revert to their original form. Stop him from being able to control his power." Caitlin suggested as Cora walked up.

"You can do that?" She asked as Caitlin smiled, nodding.

Something isn't right. I said to myself, glaring at Cora, who looked over at me nervously.

"Let's figure out how to catch this 'Everyman.'" Caitlin said as I frowned. "Bad nickname?"

"No." Cora said quickly, a smile on her face as she shrugged. "I kinda like it."

"Alright. Now let's give this serum a little spin. . ." Caitlin put the tube into the spinner, while Cora glared daggers at it.

"This. . . Serum. Will it take his lowers away permanently?"

"Not permanently. Just long enough that we can stop him." Caitlin said as she started to trail off.

"I was going through the video of one of the latest robberies by Hannibal, and look." I said as we all walked over to the monitors. "The man claimed to be right handed."

"Still seems pretty convincing to me. She is being a bag in the other hand." Cora said as I turned to her, frowning before shaking my head.

"Anyway, I think that- WOAH! Cora! Dr. Wells what did you do?!" I yelled as Cora fell to the ground, now unconscious after being tased.

"Your observations about the robber were spot on, Mr. Allen." Dr. Wells said as Cora's hand fell out from behind her, revealing a gun.

"The man is indeed left handed, as is this one in front of us." He said as I frowned at Doctor Wells before looking at Cora before my eyes widened.

"Thats- that's Hannibal Bates. . ." Caitlin said as I ran a hand through my hair. "Barry?"

"Bates he. . . He saw me use my speed. Cora is still at Mrs Bates house.. . ." I sped off in a matter of seconds, searching up and down the streets before I found Cora, conscious and leaning against Mrs. Bates house, holding her nose as it bled.

"It's about damn time you figured out that wasn't me." Cora scoffed as I ran up to her.

"Are you okay? I'm so- so sorry Cora I didnt-" Cora cut me off with a long sigh.

"Barry. I know you're sorry. You are always sorry. But right now, we need to get back to S.T.A.R. Labs and throw Copycat in that damn meta prison before I blow a fuse." Cora said as she wiped her nose.

"That's. . . Probably a good idea." I said as she nodded, outstretching her arms as I grabbed her, racing back to S.T.A.R. Labs.

"Cora. Are you sure you're alright?" asked as she nodded, grabbing a tissue and wiping the dried blood off her nose.

"I'm fine other than being knocked out for five minutes by a meta human that chose the best person to steal an identity from is a sarcastic bitch that can surely hold a grudge." She said with a scoffed as I chuckled.

"Where is Hannibal, anyway?" I asked as Dr. Wells rolled in.

"Cailtin and Miss West came in, took Mr. Bates to the CCPD to release someone who was being accounted for a robbery." Wells said as Cora gave me a wary look.

Cora

My phone started to buzz, an incoming call from Caitlin. "Hey Cait. What's up?"

"Bates! He-He got out! He's gone." She yelled as I snapped my attention to Barry, who had heard the whole thing.

"Look. I see that you guys can handle this. But I just got knocked the shit out of me, and I'm tired." I said, looking to Barry and Wells as I hung up. "I think I'm gonna crash on the crash cart for a few minutes while you guys handle Bates. Is that alright?"

"That's perfectly fine, Miss Agápi." Wells said as I pressed my lips together in a thin line, walking into on of the small rooms where a medical bed laid. I jumped onto it, adjusting myself before I yawned.

"Cora?" I heard Barry say as he walked in. I smiled at him, scooting over to let him sit. "About what happened a few minutes ago-"

"Barry when will you give yourself a break?" I asked, sitting up. It was probably a bad idea, considering how close we now were. "You're always apologizing to everyone, and frankly, I'm getting sick of it."

"It's just all these problems I have caused that I'm trying to run from. . . It's messing up my relationships with everyone. And ours the most. . ." Barry trailed off as I gave him a sad look, placing my hand on top of his as I absentmindedly rubbed circles with my thumb.

"Sometimes even the fastest man alive can't outrun his problems, Barry." I said as he slowly looked up to face me. "There are going to be situations where you will feel the need to apologize, but for the last time Barry, stop apologizing to me. I know you are going to be sorry for whatever happens, I just don't want to hear you say it anymore or it'll drive me mad."

I placed my hand on his cheek, tilting my head slightly as I smiled at him. "You know I care about you a lot, right?" I muttered as Barry smiled weakly, nodding.

"I-I care about you too, Cora. I just don't want to see you get hurt anymore."Barry said as I rolled my eyes.

"That's part of working with a hero. You're going to get hurt and threatened. But I'll still be here, Barry." I whispered as Barry sighed, nodding.

Should I have looked at his lips? Probably no- oh look he's looking at mine. Should I just do it? Maybe I should wait until he-

My thoughts couldn't contain themselves anymore as Barry placed his lips on mine, my heart racing a mile a minute as I barely took in a sharp breath.

I don't think I had ever felt like I was on cloud 9. Though the kiss lasted only a good 15-20 seconds, it was the best kiss I'd ever had.

It probably would have lasted longer if Caitlin didn't come into the cortex yelling for Barry. He turned to me, a sad look in his eyes saying he wanted the moment to last longer as I frowned at him, giving him a short kiss before I forced him out of the room, falling back into the bed.

I frowned out the voices in the room next to me as I heard a gust of wind, no doubt meaning Barry had disappeared to fight Hannibal Bates.

☀︎︎

GET READY
THE NEXT CHAPTER IS GOING TO BE SHORT BUT HAVE A BIG IMPACT
YALL KNOW WHATS BOUTTA GO DOWWWNNNN