Chapter Sixteen

Cora

The night was cut short when Eddie had to go. Snart had been spotted in the Museum where they kept the jewel.

I had to lie about Barry leaving, taking he just felt sick. I've always been known as a good liar, so hopefully Iris would hug the lie of why I left as well.

I guess I figured out I'm "allergic" to lemonade after drinking 5 cups of it.

By the time I got to S.T.A.R. Labs, Barry was on a stretcher groaning in pain.

"Barry!" I yelled, running over as my flats clicked on the ground. I could faintly hear Cisco whistle almost silently.

"Barry what happened?!" I said as he looked at me before looking away in pain as he was slowly healing from third-degree frostbite. Caitlin said he was lucky to be alive.

"Snart he's... he's not another metahuman." Barry said as my eyes widened.

"He has some kind of gun. It froze things. It slowed me down. Enough that I wasn't able to save someone." He said as I looked at him with remorse.

"According to his records, Snart didn't even finish high school." Caitlin said as I frowned once more.

"So how did he build a handheld, high-tech snow machine??" I said, turning to Cisco. "Cisco?"

"S.T.A.R. Labs built the cold gun." Dr. Wells said as I turned to him in shock.

"What..." I said quietly before Cisco chimed in.

"It had nothing to do with Dr. Wells or Caitlin. It was my idea." He said as Barry and I shook our heads in disbelief.

"Why would you do that, Cisco?" I asked as he looked at me. It was clear he was holding back tears.

"Because speed and cold are opposites."

"You-you built the gun to stop Barry?" I said as Barry slowly sat up, walking up next to me.

"Temperature is measured by how quickly the atoms of something are oscillating. Faster they are, the hotter it is. When things are cold, they're slower on the atomic level. When there's no movement, it's called-"

"Absolute zero." Barry and I mumbled. I could practically feel the anger radiating off of Barry.

"I designed a compact cryo-engine to achieve absolute zero. I built it to stop you. I didn't know who you were then, Barry. I mean, what if you turned out to be some psycho, like Martin or Nimbus?"

"But I didn't, did I?" Barry half-yelled as Cisco flinched slightly.

"You can understand why Cisco would wanna be prepared for the worst." Dr. Wells said as Barry fumed.

"We can understand that." I said, crossing my arms. "But what I can't understand is why Cisco didn't tell me, or Barry about the cold gun. After everything Barry has gone through, after everything we have gone through, I thought you trusted us, Cisco."

"I do, Cora but-"

"If you had just told me... I could've been prepared. But someone died tonight." Barry interrupted as Cisco nodded slowly.

"And I have to live with that." He said as Barry shook his head.

"No Cisco. We all do." Barry and I walked out of the Cortex, desperately in need of fresh air to cool down.

As we exited S.T.A.R labs, I definitely started to feel bad. "We shouldn't be mad at Cisco. . . There was a reason he didn't tell any of us." I said as Barry ran a hand through his hair.