Chapter Three

"Alright, while I would love to discuss the reasons why Miss Agápi should not have found out about Mr. Allen here, we need to discuss what happened back out there while we were testing your speed." Dr. Wells said as he turned his attention from me to Barry, who had a confused look on his face.

"You were moving pretty well, and then something caused you to lose focus." He continued as I slowly turned to look at Barry, who sat down on a medical bed.

"I-I started remembering something." Barry said as I crossed my arms, tilting my head slightly as I slowly became intrigued with what he was about to say.

"...When I was 11 my mother was murdered.. It was late. A sound woke me up. I came downstairs and... I saw what looked like a ball of lightning. Inside the lightning," Barry turned to look at me, along with everyone else. "There was a man."

"y-you mean the man I saw last night? The one that chose to break into my house?" I asked as Barry hesitated before nodding. "I've only lived in Central City for a day, and I already find out that there was a murderer in my house, and that the superheroes mother was killed by said man." I said as Cisco nodded. "Actually maybe we have a bit in common." I continued, Barry looking up at me as I sighed.

"When I was around the age you lost your mom, both of my parents were killed. It was this huge ordeal but... It was a long time ago. Time changes." I gave them the short end of the story. Honestly, if they knew the whole truth I wouldn't be surprised if they reacted negatively.

I kept looking at Barry for a while. There was something about him and his name... like I've heard it somewhere. God I had my short memory problems.

"Yeah but... They arrested my dad." I turned back to Barry, a solemn look in my eyes now. "He's still in Iron Heights for her murder. Everyone, the cops, the shrinks, they all told me what I saw was impossible. But what if the man that killed my mom is like me?" Barry said as I sighed quietly.

"Well, Mr. Allen. I think I can say unequivocally you, are one of a kind." Dr. Wells said as I frowned. That was a lie if I've ever heard one. And I'm a master at lying, so I'd know.

"Hard to say that when I was robbed of my sleep last night by the man that killed Barry's mom." I said with a grumble as Cisco chuckled quietly before making a serious face.

"Sorry. That wasn't the right time." He apologized as I smiled humorously.

"Look. I have to go. I need to go see Iris." Barry said as he gave me another look before walking away.

"So.. How long have you guys known him?" I asked as everyone shrugged.

"9 months. But he's only known us for a day." Caitlin, Dr. Snow, piped in as I frowned.

"You guys haven't been stalking him... Have you?" I asked as Cisco shook his head.

"He was in a coma for those 9 months." He said as I made an 'o' with my mouth.

"So um... What now? I mean, you guys look to be a little short staff, and I can't just go on with my life pretending I don't know who the Streak is when I know damn well I can help out here." I said as Cisco looked at Caitlin.

"Are you good with computers?" Cisco asked as I smiled, nodding.

"Hacked into my high school gradebook to change my F in English to an A." I said as Cisco grabbed a Twizler, pointing it at me before biting it.

"I like her." Cisco said as Dr. Wells nodded.

"There's potential. Welcome to the team for now, Miss Agápi." Dr. Wells said as I breathed through my nose, a smile forming on my face.

***

I sat at one of the desks in the small room inside the cortex, messing around with a few chemicals. I ended up creating some type biochemical that could burn through flesh in the matter of a few seconds, so I think it would be best to keep it locked away.

I don't think it was best for them to keep me in a room for of chemicals.

"I wasn't the only one affected by the particle accelerator explosion, was I?" Barry yelled to Wells as he walked in. I looked over to him, holding the flask that held the chemical as I frowned.

"We don't know for sure." Dr. Wells answered as he spun to face Barry in his wheelchair. I set the flask down, walking over next to Cisco as he nonchalantly handed me a Twizler, which I slowly ate as Barry yelled at Wells.

"But that's not true, so what really happened that night?" Barry asked, his face contorting into frustration.

"Well... The accelerator went active. We all felt like heroes, and then... It all went wrong. The dimensional barrier ruptured, unleashing unknown energies into our world. Antimatter, dark energy, x-elements..." Dr. Wells said as I frowned.

"Those are all theoretical." Me and Barry said as Cisco smiled widely, looking between us with a strange look.

"And how theoretical are you?" Dr. Wells asked Barry. "We mapped the dispersion throughout and around Central City. Though we have no way of knowing exactly what or... Who, was exposed. We've been searching for other meta-humans like yourself." Dr. Wells said as I nodded while Barry frowned in confusion.

"Meta-Humans?" Barry said, looking at me and Cisco.

"That's what we are calling them." I said as Barry's face contorted into realization.

"I saw one today. He's a bank robber. And he can control the weather."

"This just keeps getting cooler." Me and Cisco said, but I said it quietly.

"This is not cool, alright? A man died." Cisco's face turned into a sad one for a moment.

"Barry. What did he look like?" I asked as he turned to me.

"Clyde Mardon." Barry said as Cisco pulled up a photo. I turned around, my jaw dropping at the picture.

"I saw him today. In my apartment building." I said as Barry walked up next to me, a look of worry on his face.

"Did he try and hurt you or something?" He asked as I shook my head, the worry on his face being washed over by relief.

"No. I-I bumped into him. That's all." I said as I felt a small hint of panic rise up in me. I was safe now, but imagine if I hadn't been so nice...

"He's still out there. We have to stop him before he hurts anyone else!" Barry said, turning around to face Wells.

"Barry! That's a job for the police." Dr. Wells said as Barry furrowed his brows.

"I work for the police." Barry replied.

"As a forensic assistant." Harrison said, folding his hands together.

"You're responsible for this. For him!" Barry yelled as I slowly and awkwardly backed up next to Cisco again.

"What's important is you! Not me. I lost everything. I lost my company. My reputation. My freedom." Dr. Wells looked over at me for a moment before looking back at Barry.

"And then you broke your arm, and it healed in three hours. Inside your body could be a map to a whole new world... Genetic therapies, vaccines, medicines, treasures buried deep within your cells and we cannot risk losing everything because you want to go out and play hero!" Dr. Wells said.

It was quiet for a moment. "You're not a hero. You are just a young man who was struck by lightning." Dr. Wells said as Barry seemed to zone out for a moment, looking like a memory was flooding his vision.

"Barry?" I walked up to him, placing a hand on his arm. He gasped quietly, looking at me for a moment before turning to face Wells.

And then he was gone. In the blink of an eye, there was a flash of red lightning, and then papers were flying everywhere. Dr. Wells turned to face me, looking like he was going to say something before deciding against it, rolling out of the Cortex.

"They see me rollin'... They hatin" I mumbled quietly, snickering to myself before turning to Cisco.

"So Cisco, what did you say you needed help with?"

Edited July 27th, 2021