Chapter 48

"Bye." She muttered to the back of Asher's car as he drove away. Reluctantly, she turned toward the building that currently housed Obi and Nathi, who she was going to read with. "Here goes nothing." She breathed, before making her way in.

"Oma!" Nathi screeched all the way from the front of the class where she and Obi were seated. They both waved her over and she quickly waddled self-consciously towards them, very aware of the fact that she was under the scrutiny of everyone who'd heard Nathi call her name.
She and Obi had never liked sitting in front but since Nathi came around, a lot of things had to change.

"Hi." She managed to say when the class got noisy again, before Obi wrapped her in a very tight bear hug. That was one other thing that'd changed with him; Obi had never been much of a hugger, but lately, he was always enveloping her every slightest chance he got.

"You sure took your time." Nathi said, shaking her. "So how was it?" She continued, staring her directly in the eye and smiling slyly. Oma flushed, knowing what she was talking about.

"We made up. He even drove me here."

"Less talking more reading. We have your least favourite paper tomorrow and I'm definitely not failing it with you two." Obi began to shuffle through some old papers Oma suspected were past question papers.

"Oh please stop complaining, we have the whole day. All reading and no gisting makes Nathi a dull woman." Nathi proclaimed making Obi roll his eyes.

"I guess it's too late for us. You're already dull anyway." He said and Oma laughed her ass off. Nathi opened her mouth in disbelief and playfully slapped him on the cheek.

"That's why I have you to make me smarter isn't it?" She said, kissing him. More like 'sucking his mouth'.
This was what Oma was afraid of. She didn't like feeling like the third wheel but Nathi seemed bent on making sure of that and unfortunately, Obi wasn't hesitant in anyway, in fact, he'd been the first one to open his mouth. She tried to look at everywhere but at them and was amazed at how everyone else seemed to be minding their business, unbothered by two people who could get it on at anytime.

"Less making out, more making notes." She muttered, looking away but by some miracle of God, they actually stopped, although their hands and eyes were still on each other.

"Did you know that the bartender at that party you threw was arrested for drugging people?" Oma stated, after searching for something, anything that could draw their attention away from each other. It worked.

"When?" Nathi asked. Her voice sounded deeper, probably from having someone's tongue probe deep, Ọma thought.

"Yesterday. I mean I heard the news yesterday. Asher told me last night."

"You're together again?" Obi asked. For someone who was supposed to be smart, he really asked the most irrelevant questions.

"Yes, but that's beside the point." She rolled her eyes. "People are testifying against him. I heard he even drugged girls for other men. Someone said she woke up in his bed twice, without knowing how it happened. I even thought about testifying too. That party was weird. He gave me free drinks that day and the next morning when I woke up..."

"We all know what happened." Obi completed with a sharp tone. "You didn't find yourself in bed with anyone so what are you testifying about?"

She glared at him.

"I didn't carry myself there. Anything could have happened."

"Maybe you were drunk and you walked up there to sleep. Nobody will listen to your story unless it involves rape." He retorted with his arms still over Nathi's shoulders.