chapter 23

"Do you know who she spent the night with?" Asher asked when the three of them were in his car.

His fists were tightly gripping the wheel. Since he came, he'd been nothing but cold towards her. It was almost like what'd happened a week ago at her room when she'd cramps hadn't happened.
She understood him though. She didn't know any of her cousins, but she somehow understood how he felt, knowing his cousin was killing herself.

"I don't know " She said shutting her eyes at the thought of Obi and Nathi together, doing things...
She hadn't seen him at the party. But somehow he'd ended up...
Nathi was laying on her. The girl was still very much unconscious from how much she'd drunk the night before. She felt so much animosity towards this girl but her mind just couldn't justify any of the reasons.

The boy from the night before. She'd equally just met him, he wasn't hers. Nathi hadn't "stolen" him from her.
Obi was her friend. But Nathi was obviously his friend too. No matter how far their friendship went. It wasn't like she even had feelings for him. There was no problem if Nathi liked him. Moreover, she had feelings for Asher who happened to be her cousin.
And then there was Asher. Was she really being jealous of how he wasn't paying attention to her right now?
For God's sake, his cousin was on his mind.

Looking down at a semi unconscious Nathi, she realised she didn't really do anything directly to her.

"How did you find her."
Asher asked drily.
His cousin was the loose one. Why was he pouring his anger on her?
Oma didn't know how to answer the question. How could she tell him she'd been in the same room with them when she didn't know how she got there.

"I saw her name and room number on the reception list " She said, looking away. Her tone was sharp.

He sighed. "I'm sorry it seems like I'm cross with you, It's just...this isn't the first time this is happening. It's really weighing me down. Her mum knows she's like this and she sent her here so I could like change her. I don't know what she was thinking, but I don't think I can do this anymore."

"Oh."

"Sorry I've shared too much, I'm just really really tired. If this happens again, I'm done."

He sped past her hostel without a word and she didn't say anything either. She was sure he'd done that on purpose. He obviously needed her help with the 'situation'. This wasn't how she'd expected their next meeting to be like but she'd take what she could get.

They dropped Nathi on the bed in his room and they both sat beside her, saying nothing. She looked around the room, seizing her opportunity of being in it. It was a large room with an equally large bed in the middle, tiny spaces for a kitchen ,a bathroom and a balcony. 
If they both shared this room, that means they both slept together...on the same bed?

"She doesn't sleep here."
He said, answering her unasked question. "I know that's what you're thinking. She sleeps in her room at Charlie hostel. She just comes here occasionally to disturb me."

***

"In South Africa, matric actually means graduating from secondary school. I don't get why it's used in this premise."
Nathi said looking at the ceiling from Oma's bed. This was one of those things she said that didn't really need an answer.

Ever since the party, Nathi and Oma had gotten closer. Nathi was the kind of person who didn't take no for an answer. She came occasionally to the room she shared with Asa to discuss or just pass the time or collect notes.

However, Asa and Nathi didn't get along. Scratch that, Asa obviously hated Nathi and didn't try to hide it while Nathi rarely acted like she noticed her. Asa had told Oma it was because she'd dragged Oma and left her all alone at the party but Oma believed it was just an excuse.