chapter 26

On his bed, he lay deep in thought. He couldn't shake the feeling she didn't want to see him.
Nathi lay beside him, deeply asleep, unaware her cousin was bothered by something.

He held up his phone and gazed at it. He dialed her number and let his thumb hover over the call button. After a few minutes of deciding, he dropped his phone and sighed.

Nathi said she told her she'd call him. Why hadn't she called then? Coming to think of it, she'd never even called him before.

He'd hoped they'd have met the day before. Maybe go out on another date, see more places, but it seemed like she had other things in mind.

He never even wanted to go to that party in the first place, but when Nathi had come back with the news that Oma had refused to see him, he followed her to the stupid party.

Had she rejected him because of the other boy Nathi told her about? He shook the thought off. Oma herself told him they were just friends. His subconscious mind laughed at him, like they couldn't just be friends.

It'd really been a long time since he was last in a serious relationship. He was hoping Oma would be the special one. He'd wasted his time and sanity chasing after one girl for years. But now was different. He was over her. He was older and wiser. He deserved better, and better was Oma.

***

Oma woke up to an empty room and a bright morning. She was clad in nothing, her towel must have rolled out during the night. How could she have slept for more than twelve hours? But worse, how could Asa have left without waking her?

She hastily got up and ran to the bathroom without checking the time. It didn't matter anyway. It was bright, therefore late.

She was all dressed up in no time and bolted out the door. She made it to class and luckily for her, there was no lecturer.

"Where have you been? Do you know how many enemies I've made from keeping this chair? I've been calling you." Obi asked her immediately she flopped down beside him.

Sure enough there were ten missed calls all from Obi. How could she have also slept through that. Right now she didn't have the time or the energy to talk. She was hungry. How could she still be tired after sleeping for more than half a day.

"Won't you say anything?" Obi asked, his voice was softer.

"Hmm. I was asleep. I don't know what happened to me." She said and closed her eyes. When she opened them, Obi was staring back at her intently, his face just an inch from her face and she almost fell off her chair.

"Stop being creepy!" She yelled.

"Sorry." He laughed.

"We need to talk."

"What about."

"What happened yesterday."

"What happened yesterday?"

She hated it when he acted so clueless.

"The sudden change after Nathi came to speak to us."

He frowned.

"Do you really want me to explain? Don't you already know?"

The truth was that she knew. She knew he liked her, but she didn't like him back in that way. She didn't want their friendship to be any weirder than it already was.

"Yeah. I get it. I just wanted to clear it out."

"I don't like that girl." He said after a while. Oma wanted to tell him "but you slept with her", but she reminded herself it wasn't her business and kept quiet.