chapter 12

Voices.

Call her parents.

She's bleeding from her head.

The school can't handle it.

Jesus! Blood. Too much blood!

Their voices echoed at the distance as she drifted in and out of consciousness.  Everything was blurry and unclear. The voices sounded like they came from a hollow. She couldn't make out their faces. They all blended with the fading colour in her mind.

She shuddered when she heard she'd been bleeding from her head. She knew she was going to die. The discomforting pain in her stomach had dulled, but was still there, and it hurt like hell. Her shaking didn't last long as she became unconscious again.

She felt hands drape around her body to carry her. They were strong and muscular, definitely not her mum's.
She willed her eyes to open when the thought of being kidnapped crossed her mind, but they wouldn't. It was like they were glued shut. Her consciousness waned for the last time and she feared it would be the end.

* * * *

Her eyes slowly opened and she found herself in a white room alone. She blinked to get accustomed to the brightness of the room. She was awkwardly attached to different hospital equipment, making any form of movement impossible.

A uniformed man came in, a doctor, along with her mother. Her fear returned when she saw her. Nia's face held surprise and anger and Oma couldn't tell which one was directed at her.
The doctor touched her, flinching when he met her eyes open.

" Oh. You're awake ! " He said, composing himself.

Nia came closer, a look of concern on her face.

" Oh Oma. I didn't know it was this serious. I would have come earlier. Oh God, what have they done to you!"
She slightly touched her head, looking her over to see how much damage had been caused. How much she could sue for.

" It's nothing. " Oma replied, not knowing how to react at her mother's sudden care. " I just fell and bumped my head is all. I. . . I'll be okay, I think" .

" No. No, you're not okay. That school has everything to do with this. I heard what happened. They made you wash their filthy loo. I'm sueing that school. I should have done it long ago! "

" I'm fine mum. Right, doctor ? You don't need to sue the school. Please don't do anything. Please. . " She couldn't stand being another topic in school again. This was enough attention.

" I don't know why you're defending them. You could have bled to death if no one had found you on time. You could have had internal bleeding. Would they replace you for me ? All they'd say is sorry. I need to teach them so that next time. . . "

" Hey madam. I need you to leave if you won't shut up. You're scaring the child. Her heart race is dangerously high. " The doctor said, his voice too calm for his words. He gave Nia a sour look before proceeding to rearrange the numerous tubes and lines she was attached to. She hadn't known her heart was being monitored.

Nia was not one to take insults, no matter how subtly they came. When she saw no apology was forthcoming, she went full mode.

" Do you know I can sue you and your hospital as well. Do you know who I am? ! . . . "

" Mummy please Stop ! "

" Security ! ! "

She could only hide her face in humiliation and fear as Nia's yelling self was removed by security.

She had the strong urge to throw up.

* * * *

" I've run the tests. The results are ready. " The doctor said without looking up. Whatever was on that blank paper must have been so interesting.

" Why did you need to run tests. Is anything wrong ? " There was fear in her voice. Fear of being told she had months to live.

He took a deep breath and continued.

" Your mother needed to know everything was Ok, and as a doctor, I always run tests on patients like you. You were bleeding from your head, and I can tell you severe illnesses manifest themselves in the most minute ways."

She had nothing else to say, so she nodded.

He went silence and his silence spoke millions. She was going to die. She just knew it. And she was going to hell. She waited for him to say the words.

" Do you want your mother here to hear the results, or do you want me to tell her seperately. I think she must have calmed down now ? "

" I want her here. " Whatever it was, this man was surely making a huge deal out of it. She just hoped he was right and Nia wouldn't make a scene.

Nia walked in brusquely. She was apparently still angry, but curt enough to try to secrete it. She took a seat and signalled him to proceed. He looked her hard and long and started, wondering why he had an unsolved issue with a woman he would never see again.

" I ran the tests and I'll tell you the results. " He said staring uncertainly at Oma and then at Nia her mother.
"You have to promise madam not to make a scene or do anything to your daughter..."

" Oga can you get to the point ? My body is itching from staying in this hospital. " Nia spat, hitting her body and looking around, like the walls were made of a million flies.

He ignored her and continued, while Oma swallowed spit.

" No matter what happens, I don't want any drama from you. " He said, without specifying to whom he spoke.

Nia yawned dramatically.

"She had sever abdominal pain so we ran a couple of tests, including a pregnancy test..." The doctor let his words hang in the air.

" Your daughter is four weeks pregnant. "

Oma felt her heart threaten to explode out of her chest.
Nia laughed a dry sarcastic laugh.

" Is this your revenge doctor? It's childish." Her voice betrayed her.

" Here you go. See for yourself." He said, handing her the printed result which she didn't accept. Her eyes locked on his and he stared back unblinking and challenging, his hand still outstretched.

Oma was sure her heart had stopped beating. This was worse than having just months to live, because Nia would surely kill her anyway.

But they'd used protection. Every single time. She wished she was barren. She wished she could have a miscarriage. But most especially, she wished the doctor was exceedingly childish and was trying to prank them both. But the serious look on the doctor's face assured her the only child in the room was the one in her belly.

She saw Nia collect the paper and toss it without reading it. She saw the doctor, aged by stress and life. His face was drawn and looked pleading as he turned to her. He was clearly used to this. She saw Nia turn as well, looking like a ferocious beast about to pounce.

Oma' s head ached and she wanted badly to puke. She wasn't attached to tubes like before but she knew her heart beat was getting faster than was healthy.

Their grim faces obscured and her head fell numb. Her whole body shook as she emptied her stomach on the hospital floor. She heard her mother scream, " I'm going to kill you ! " and she swooned once again, the taste of vomit still on her mouth.

* * *