chapter 28

"So just because he shared his life story and he took me out to dinner, we're supposed to automatically start dating!"

"I'm sure he didn't mean it like that." Nathi said. It was evening and they were both seated at the love garden. Nathi had texted saying she needed to talk to her,but so far it was Oma who was doing the most talking.

"Ha! He just walked out on me and made me feel like a fool golloping after him. If I'd known he was this immature, I would never have gone out on the date in the first place."

"But if you knew it was a date, why did you still go with him? You know he's liked you for a long time." Nathi said. Nathi was being unreasonably calm. This topic really interested her.

"So I can't just go out with my friend for dinner without being in love with him. Besides,I have a boyfriend."

Nathi's smile was wide enough to crack her face in two.

"I knew it! I was wondering how long it would take you guys. Just yesterday I asked Asher and he just dodged the question. That's exactly what I was going to talk to you about."
Oma smiled too. She wondered why Asher dodged the question instead of straight up telling her.

"Why didn't he tell you? You're cousins. Why would he avoid the question?" She asked.

Nathi sighed, crossed her legs and rested her elbows on the round table. The perfect position for someone about to "talk".

"I'll tell you something. Many years ago, Asher met this girl he really liked. She was pretty and he was immediately smitten by her. He tried to get her for years but she wasn't interested. It seemed like she was interested in every other person but him. But that didn't stop him. He followed her everywhere. Literally everywhere. He went to the same school with her and even when she moved to another university, he changed with her. His parents were furious, even her parents were furious when they confronted them about it. Eventually, he finally got over her and moved here where he could never see her again. He gave up on relationships entirely." She made a dramatic pause and touched Oma's cheek. She flinched.
"But somehow when he saw you, he just suddenly changed. You're all he ever talks about and now I know the change is for real. I don't know what you're doing, but please keep doing it."

She smiled.

"So when next are you meeting?"

"Tomorrow evening. In his lodge."

"Alright. Have fun."

***

The next day, Oma fidgeted when she entered her class. She didn't know what to expect from Obi. She was sure he'd ignore her. She just hoped it wouldn't be permanent. Even if he didn't, things would definitely be weird for both of them. How she wished he didn't have to have feelings for her.

She found him at their usual spot in class with his head low. Swallowing, she quickly passed by him, hoping to get as far away as she possibly could from him. She felt a hand drag her back roughly.

"Where do you think you're going?" He said. He had a huge grin plastered on his face. This was not the reaction she'd expected. To avoid unnecessary attention, she sat beside him since he wouldn't release her hand.

"Oh...uh..."

"How was your night?" He asked.

"It was... okay"

"You're not smiling today. Why not?" He had his hand under his chin still grinning. Of all the reactions she'd expected from him, this was not one of them.

She managed a weak smile.
"I just had a rough night. I had a lot on my mind."

"About?"

Was he being serious!