Chapter 57

The class was rowdier now, with Obi and a few others trying to separate them and more people who didn't even know what the fight was about, egging them on and laughing, happy to have something distract them from reading. 

It wasn't really a fight. Oma was beating her up. She was on top of Nathi, dragging her hair, scratching her face while Nathi only screamed, wondering what was happening and trying to free herself.

Obi was finally able to carry Oma away from Nathi which was surprising with his skinny frame.
"What is wrong with you, Oma?"
He yelled.

"Ask your stupid girlfriend. She's the one who's fucking her own cousin." She said and spat on Nathi who looked wretched on the floor.
"That's if they're even really cousins."

Obi looked at her like he couldn't be more disappointed in her. Despite her anger, she felt ashamed when she glanced around at the people who'd gathered to watch, laughing and hitting their desks. She was going to be forever reminded of this.

"I'm... I'm"
She began but changed her mind and left the class immediately.

Her hands were shaking in anger as she fumed outside the class. A lot of things raced through her mind; the introductions, how Asher had probably just said she was his cousin and she went with it, the times she'd seen them together, the clues she'd read. She wondered if she'd have even ever discovered their dirty little secret if Nathi had not been picked a quarrel with her that afternoon.

With you in the picture, he can finally get out of my hair, she'd said countless times but Oma had been too naive to understand what she'd really meant all those times.

She'd been made a fool of, again!

Maybe something was really wrong with her; she only had a thing for messed up guys.

"Medical road." She quickly told the cab driver who immediately acquiesced as he didn't want to cross his angry looking passenger. Luckily, the school cabs were free, so although she'd left all her belongings in class, she could still get to her destination without literally boiling under the deadly Nigerian sun.

It was still morning on a weekday, so Asher was probably not even around, but she didn't care. She desperately hoped he was home so she could...

What was she even going to do...

She balled up her fists. She couldn't possibly beat him up; he was muscular and quite bigger than her. She hadn't even known she could beat anyone up until today.
She had to thinknof something else.

"Medical road." The driver said, glancing at her through the mirror. "Sha calm down."

She eyed him but got down without a word. She walked straight to Asher's lodge and noticed with satisfaction that his window was open. He was around. There was no way Nathi could have called him within the few moments it took her to get here.

She pounded his door repeatedly and announced her name when he asked who that mad person was. He unlocked the door and dared to look pleased to see her. It took everything in her not to slap him in that smug face od his.

"Who is Beside?"
Her voice sounded way calmer than she'd wanted it to. She wanted him to get how furious she was.

"I don't know what you're talking about." He said, glancing around outside where she was and trying to bring her in. She got it and banged the door, startling him. On a second thought, she left it open, a flash of the message on his phone where someone had told him I've dealt with her. She'd begun to fear the man she'd once adored.

"As you can see Asher, I'm not in the mood to bicker back and forth with you. Just tell me the truth as you have nothing to lose."
She said, losing her patience.