Chapter 44

She froze. Not because she was nervous or felt bad about about not replying him, but because she was only wearing a nightie that was silky and almost transparent.

"I'm coming." She screamed as she scrambled for something to wear over it. The only thing she saw was the annoying coat she'd worn the day before. She hurriedly put it on anyway, there was no time to change into something else.

Their room was fairly scattered, all thanks to Asa's weird eating habits the night before and her laziness to do anything about the mess all morning. She did the easiest thing she could, gathered all the empty containers to one spot and stuffed the other scattered things into cupboards. By the time she was done, she was sweating a little.

She unlocked the door and stared face to face at the skinny giant standing in front of her. He'd never been to her room before, the sight was unusual.

"How did you know my room?" She asked and gave him space to come in.

"Nathi told me." He came in and sat on Asa's bed. Nathi again.

She sat on her own bed. He was so far away but she couldn't tell him that. She didn't know how he would take the news.

He was staring at her intently and she felt uncomfortable when his eyes settled on her chest. She clutched the coat tighter around her, feeling self conscious. He seemed to notice the act because he blushed and averted his eyes.

"So. You said we had to talk. What about?" She finally asked when he didn't say anything.

"Yeah. We need to talk about you and Nathi. It's almost like you didn't take the news of us dating so well." He said and she looked at him in mock disbelief.

"I didn't take the news so well? You didn't hear all the things she said? She was desperately trying to get me angry, didn't you notice that?" She spat.

He shook his head and crossed his legs. They looked like they we're talking business. Sitting about four feet away from each other and making complaints without smiling.

"She wasn't trying to make you angry. She only tried to make you angry after you made her angry. When you yelled at her to stop acting like she'd ever done anything for you. That was why she said the last thing she said."

"You're so so biased Obi. You were either not listening to her or you're just trying to be on her side no matter what. If you would just keep an open mind..."

"I am keeping an open mind." He said. "I told her that what she said to you about your boyfriend wasn't good at all and she agreed with me."

"So what I'm the one that started the whole thing? You didn't hear what she said about my mother? Or about modeling for you?" It didn't sound so bad saying it out loud. In fact, it sounded like she was the crazy one. She didn't like that at all.
"It's not about what she said, it's how she said it."

He stared at her for a long time without saying anything. She didn't want to meet his gaze.

"Are you jealous?" He finally asked and her head whirled up so fast.

"What?" She spat.

"From what you've said, it sounds like it. I was there. There was nothing wrong with anything she said, to me."

She wanted to scream. It was so hard to just sit there and act mature. She was tired of being mature. Look where maturity had gotten her. What was wrong with everybody!

She heaved a sigh instead and tried to pull herself together.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you actually want me to be jealous. But I don't just know what you'd gain from that." She said and crossed her own legs like him and placed a hand on her jaw. The effect was just perfect.