Chapter Fifty Four

Kamaria

I look over and see my mom collapse to the the ground.

"MOM," I rush over and I can hear the footsteps of Aubrey and my father coming towards me.

She was still breathing. I felt my heart rate increase as I tried to get her up from the floor.

"Let's bring her inside," Aubrey offers help picking her up. My dad comes and assists us as we make our way into his place.

"Place her here," he points at his couch and we lay her there. "Do you have any water I could give her by chance?"

He nods and goes into the kitchen and returns with a bottle of water and a towel.

My mom wasn't old and she took pretty good care of herself. I don't know if she was just overwhelmed or if something is medically wrong. She hasn't said anything to me recently though.

"Should we call 911?"

"No," I hear a faint voice. I look up and see my mom looking at me. "It's alright it's nothing serious."

"Dios Mío," I hear my dad say faintly under his breathe.

"What happened?" She sits up and she looks at me...no not at me. Over my head. I look behind me and see my mom and dad staring at each other.

"I don't know what that was," she clears her throat. "I think I forgot to take my iron," she sighs.

I forgot she was anemic. But she told me that she had it under control so I wasn't too worried. Until now that is.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean for this to be the first impression," she laughs. I try to calm my nerves and relax. I forgot why we were hear for a minute.

"Don't worry cielito," he chuckles. "I'm just happy you're all here safe," he comes in and gives us a hug.

I hear a bark from outside and then running coming in. "Belen relax," I hear my dad say. A dog comes towards Aubrey and I and starts licking us.

"Hi Belen," I smile. He was really nice actually. I didn't interact with dogs much cause some of them really are scary as fuck. Like they're the terminator and they're gonna shred you into pieces.

But Belen was really comforting and cute. "I'm glad he likes you guys," my dad chuckles. Before I can respond, Aubrey taps my shoulder discreetly.

"I think we should give your parents some time alone first," he nods in their direction. There was a lot of tension between the two of them. Not bad tension by any means but I don't know...

"Hey we are gonna go play outside with Belen if that's okay?"

My dad nodded and we left and closed the door.

Solange

"Well," Anderson says. "I'm glad you're okay."

"Yes yes," I smile. "How have you been?"

I watch Anderson pace back and forth and then sit next to me. "I've been lonely," he says. We just look at each other and pain fills my chest.

It's easy to dismiss immigration issues as not your problem when you're not an immigrant. It's easy to dismiss the fact that these are human beings with feelings and emotions and connections. I felt robbed. Robbed of the opportunity to experience my first love. Robbed of the opportunity to have a happy family. To raise a family. My goal in life was always to do that. I didn't want to be a single mother like my mom because I saw how she suffered. I wanted a mobàli ya libála. And Anderson was suppose to be that. And we never got that chance.

Before we could say anything, we embraced. Anderson hugs me very tightly and kisses my cheek. "Pienso en ti siempre," he whispers.

As a forty three year old woman, I felt corny for feeling the way I was. But I couldn't help it. My heart never changed for Anderson and I couldn't help but feel like when we were young and in love again.

"Remember when we ditched African studies to go into D.C.," he laughs. I chuckle as I remember the event like yesterday. We were in high school around seventeen years old. We skipped African studies and went on an ice cream date. My parents were ready to send be back to Congo when I didn't appear for attendance but it didn't even matter to me at the time.

"I definitely remember that," I smile. "Or when that grown woman twerked on your at carnival," I laugh.

"What can I say," he smiles. "I have a way with all women."

"Yeah you do," I laugh. "How have you been?"

"You know what they say," he laughs. "A falta de pan, casabe, dice el pueblo."

I remember this saying he used to tell me about. He's been doing with what he has available.

"Can I ask what it was like?" I didn't want to go there in case it was difficult for him.

He nods. "Isolating and confusing. They didn't explain much to me other than I had overstayed my visit. I never had my parents say anything about this to me," he sighs. "I was especially worried about you and Kamaria."

"Well no need to worry now," I smile. "We are together now."

We stare at each other before I feel gravity push my face towards him. Before our lips meet, I hear the door open so I pull back.

"Hey Kamaria," I smile.

"Hey sorry we were bringing Belen in," she smiled.

"No worries. It's time you get to know your dad. Both of you of course," I smile.

Aubrey gave me a nervous smile back. I was so proud of my girl and I wanted nothing more than for her to be happy.

For her to have a chance that nobody can take from her.

Her mobàli ya libála . Her husband.

Short chapter but Thank you for reading 🤎 I'll give you another one before Sunday no worries!!!
Vote, comment and share
What do you think of Solange and Anderson?