16.Painkiller

It's been a week since Mew has officially announced dead.Gulf has locked himself in his house.Bright was the one who informed Mew's parents about his death.Mew's parents were devastated.Inspite of being in such a vulnerable state, they performed all the rituals regarding Mew's funeral pretty bravely.They wanted to meet Gulf but Gulf refuses to attend the funeral.He even refuses to meet anyone.For the entire week, Bright used to go to his house, wait for hours in hope that Gulf would open the door.This was the first time, Gulf has done this after his mother's death but it was too painful for Bright to see his friend suffer like this.

It was the first day at work for Bright and Gulf after that incident.Bright and Gulf both break the law by helping the accuse to escape and even threatened the fellow officer but even after that Bright's senior director (Ryuk's  father) has decided to let go  this time as they have excellent work history and the director's son was also at fault.

Bright was once again standing in front of Gulf's house waiting for him to open the door and unexpectedly Gulf opened the door.
Bright was stunned at the view in front of him.Gulf was just in his boxer and and a t-shirt with cigarette in his mouth.It seems like he hasn't shaved for a week and also lost a lot of weight.

"Are you planning to stare me or want to get in?" Asked Gulf and put the cigarette in his mouth to take a puff.

"How are you doing?" Said Bright and followed Gulf inside his house.

"What would happen to me?...I am doing just fine." Said Gulf.

As bright entered the house, the entire house reek of cigarettes and alcohol.

"You don't look fine." Said Bright making Gulf chuckle.

"You think too much, Bright." Said Gulf and handed Bright a glass of water.

Bright took the glass.
"Gulf, it's okay if you are not fine.......you can talk to me about Mew...I am here.."

"Don't take the name of that son of bitch.....He was just a coward who left when it was too difficult....I just want to forget him and if you  want to talk about him, it's better you take your leave." Said Gulf

Bright could sense Gulf's pain behind those words.Gulf is a short tempered person who handles every situation by being angry.It was like his defense mechanism.Bright knew about it but this time his defense mechanism was failing.

"Okay, we won't talk about it.....how is your wound.Win told me you didn't open the door when he visited you to treat the wound." Said Bright.

"My powers are back....my wound is completely fine." Said Gulf lifting his t-shirt to show Bright and Gulf indeed was right, the wound completely vanished as it never exist.

"So get ready.....let's go to office." Said Bright but Gulf didn't answered him and instead handed him the envelope.

"What's this?" Asked Bright.

"My resignation." Said Gulf making Bright's eyes widened.

"What are you saying?"

"I am saying that I am quiting the job....I had enough of this....that job remind of him and I want to forget him." Said Gulf.

"Gulf!!!....you can't play with your future like this and what about the promise that you made with your mother?....what about that killer who still roaming around the city?" Said Bright.

"What about me, Bright?....what about the pain that I am going through?....what about that?...Do you know what I feel?.....that guy was so selfish that he didn't think about me...he left me behind and told me to live...when he knows that I can't.....I feel hollow, I feel angry.....Even though, he did all that I still want him here with me....I want him to embrace me and say all those clinche things to me.....and do you know what I hate the most that I couldn't even say I love you...I wish I could have just said that to him...." said Gulf and started crying.
Bright rushed to hug Gulf.
It was heartbreaking for Bright to see Gulf like this.He hasn't ever seen Gulf this weak.