19| I.D.I.O.T

Zahrah's POV

"Test samples," The Professor murmured to himself.

Meanwhile, Daniel was checking his watch as his feet swift in its position; he excused himself as the Professor's eyes were abruptly trained to me. "What are you doing?" a weak voice rasped against my eardrums.

I gave him nothing but silence; after weighing my options, I chose the most direct response. Silently, I handed him the papers.

"They are back," My eyes were on his expression while he was on the paper as he scanned the context, and soon, his eyes made the same reaction as mine. His face was the same shade as mine. Pale.

It was a scene to witness as his pale expression turned darker with a reluctant voice he said, "this... i-s too c-l-lose, you are out of this!"

I stood there, my eyes were on the ground before they everted to him, and as a lion, my voice sounded like a roar. "When can you get it into your thick head. he isn't interested in you..." the next few words sent chills into my spine before leaving my mouth, "After all these years, he hadn't gone after anyone except for me, even ada..." My eyes lowered as I swallowed the next few letters.

I witnessed the Professor's eyes began to widen as I almost uttered the name of a man that wanted to remain anonymous—the man whom I last saw in the shopping mall.

"Ada.." He was waiting for me to disclose his name as my lips seemed to utter the words under his command, "Adam, one of the five survivors."

"Let's go," He spoke determinedly as I turned my attention to his expression, and there was only one word to describe his face. Terror.

"I-- I am not sure where he lives or if he is still here in San Francisco, and even if and that is a big IF we do find his address, we can't just barge in like that.."

"We can," his expression was stern.

After a series of phone calls he made while we were navigating the location and driving into confusing passages. I felt like we were rats in a maze as we finally reached the destination.

I spotted the distinguished house as we stood outside, and the Professor switched off the car and exited the vehicle. I stood by the door with a mixture of cold dread and giddy anticipation. 

The fact that I started everything made my stomach so tied in knots; I'd been unable to think about anything other than this. While the Professor didn't break his determined stride or even look in my direction as he snapped while knocking hard on the door, "ADAM." as my mind had only one thought, 'I don't understand. It's been so many years. Why now?'

When Adam opened the door, his angry expression turned into a look of shock and consternation. His eyes blinked at me like an over-sized owl while his mouth dropped open. Then he swallowed and attempted to speak, but an older figure proceeded to the door and interrupted the conversation as a tone of kindness marked his greeting. "Assalamu'alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,"