10| Not Off Your Hook

Zahrah's POV

After the lecture was over, I went toward the library. I'm not sure what to do now – can I very well come next discussion while he's lecturing and pretend none of this just happened? I don't know, but what I do know is that I will see him soon.

Safia finds me as I was walking in the hallway, eyes wild, and promptly grabs me by the arm and steers me away. We duck into a med lecture room.

"What the hell did I heard ?" Safia demands, all breathing heavy. I don't know what the hell her problem is.

"What?" I ask innocently, not wanting to give myself away if she is, in fact, referring to something completely unrelated to my little show-down with Professor Benjamin. But that's highly unlikely.

She cocked, doubtful eyebrow tells me this. "Seriously?" Safia started. "Are you seriously going to deny that little show you put on with the professor?"

I glance behind me, worried. But the door is closed, and there's no one else here. "Did anyone hear?" I ask anxiously.

The bravery I once possessed vanished when the danger was now over.

"Junaid, Jess, and the girl I always forget her name saw you; the rest of the class was separated from your lecture." She replies, "I don't know what this outburst was all about, but you should be thankful it happened with Dr.Florentino and not someone else. He is cool,"

"Ya Allah." I don't bother hiding my worry.

"What was that about, anyway?"

There's no point in lying to her, "I called him out in front of the class," I explain. Her eyes widen comically, so I quickly go in for the kill. "Um...on purpose. To piss him off."

Yeah, that sounds real noble of me, sweeping the newbie to purposefully piss off the one helpful professor(according to the other students). 

Should I accept my student of the Year award now or later?

"You're kidding!" she whispers excitedly. "But why?"

I tell her the whole story, beginning with the boxing and ending with everything he said before we parted. I leave out the part about how delicate and bright his skin was or how well his aftershave smelled.

She responds with a loud laugh. "Ya Allah, I can't wait to tell Dr. Danial about this," she says.

I gasp, my eyes widening in alarm. "What? No, you can't tell Dr. Danial," I argue.

"Why not?"

"I don't want this going around, Safia. I had barely started a week ago. Please, please, please don't tell Dr. Danial!"