16| That's Not a Nice Move

Zahrah's POV

As the days followed, I find myself racing toward Professor Florentino's office more frequently. Whenever I escorted him into the long corridor with doors branching off, we pass others in the hallways. Each time, Professor Florentino was applauded and greeted as I awkwardly stood a few meters away. Through my developing bewilderment, I remarked the faculty awe by him just as much as the students adored him.

It didn't take me long to figure out that Florentino walked these hallways with all the surety that he walked the street. Curiosity nibbled at me, but I knew better than to voice those questions; I longed to find a response to them. I'd find out his strategy when, and only when, he decided.

Why was I going with him on it? Because he just wanted one more reason to stop me from being apart of their group. As we got more in-depth inside the building, my attention is caught with his three words as he finally slowed down.

"It starts now," he uttered whisperingly as we stopped in front of a lift. I gave him a sideways glance, only to find his observation on the figure appearing as the elevator's door open.

"Professor Hallock,"

"Benjamin, welcome back." The woman's smile grew broader. "And right on time, too."

I was startled to see Dr. Florentino engaging in a conversation with the elegant professor since he was friends with Danial, who despised Professor Hallock.

"As usual," he answered, with the air of someone delivering the punch line of a long-standing joke between friends.

I stared, unsure if I was more shocked at my classy professor with an impenetrable countenance who was joking with my other professor or at Professor Florentino, who was joking back. It was the kind of thing that made one doubt all the truths that one held about the world.

Yes, Professor Florentino was humorous, and when I found out that he doesn't really have a Ph.D., everything made sense again, but now that woman.

My world quickly righted itself as the joking professor transformed back into a prickly professor with the same look he gave me when I corrected him. "Manners, Miss Ezz," he snapped. "And quit gaping like a landing fish." The rebuke did its intended job, and I got my jaw shut, and my fist tightened.

If I weren't afraid of his influences on Coco, I would have hit the same eye that the bruise made there appeared to disappear.

Standing several feet to the left of me, the woman smiled, "Don't fret, dear. Benjamin-P-- Professor Florentino always treats extraordinary students like this."

Wait, did she refer to me as extraordinary? WOW. I then caught her conversation. Was she talking about the same person we were discussing? I wondered.

Professor Florentino was one of the few that laughed and shared with all students except the exceptional. A rare breed that apologizes and talks to all students the same without discrimination.

Professor Florentino sniffed disdainfully behind me. "Not extraordinary, just a know it all, who doesn't trust me in my diagnosis or treatment."