14| Not That Cool Of A Professor

Zahrah's POV

I try really, really hard not to think about Benjamin Florentino at the lecture. Or I should say, Ace Chance, as that's what he stated his name was. We may technically be working together now...okay, not technically...but I still need to keep things professional.

I actually don't even see him. I don't have a lecture with him today, so this shouldn't be a surprise. And I can survive one day without him.

Prof Hallock's lab is today. She's kind to everyone but a bitch to Dr. Danial. I think it's pretty funny. Once she leaves, I even go on to Junaid about how nice she is, even though I know Danial is sitting just a few feet away and is irked by every word. But he deserves it.

He is the one who built my curiosity around that man; he still wasn't cool.

Since we learned the number of ribs — 12 — and the different types of ribs: floating, false and true ribs. While also learning the names and locations of the bones in the chest, and much more. We now walk next door to the anatomy lab, found our lockers, pulled on our purple gloves, and prepared ourselves to peek inside a human chest for what I presume was the third time.

"We'll be looking inside somebody who gave their life and their body," said Junaid, honorably awaiting the unveiling of his third cadaver.

After we sat at the assigned lab tables, rolled back the blue body bags, and got to work. I assembled my scalpels while Junaid looked nervously at me.

I made the first incision into the team's cadaver. I sliced down from the jugular notch to the xiphoid process with a firm hand, the lowest part of the sternum. And then, one by one, the four other teammates took their turns.

"How deep should we go?" Karmel asked me.

"I think we should cut through the skin to the subcutaneous fat, then down through the deep fascia — the connective tissue — to the chest muscle, the pectoralis major," I told her.

 "Don't cut too deep," Karmel warned. 

At that moment, I see a figure resembling Florentino passing by from the small window above the door as I see that Jess girl excusing herself from the lab and her group, who Safia seemed to hang with A lot.

The last thing I needed was Florentino on my case about eavesdropping on his conversation. I didn't budge from my lab table, examining the corpse. I hold my scalpel, but my mind kept thinking and didn't focus.

"Be careful," Junaid stated; I looked at him and then again at my hand holding the tool.

My hand seemed to know its way around the human body, except it was the human mind that I was curious about— His in particular.

"What do you think Florentino and that Jess girl are doing?" I asked Junaid, who was beside me.