12| That's Not How the Lecture Goes

Zahrah's POV

To say he caught me off guard would be an oversimplification. It seemed as if he hit me with a train moving 267 mph.

I laughed nervously, "Is this a joke?"

He gives me an awkward smile as he put his right hand on the back of his head clumsily, obviously seeming as if it wasn't his idea, "Well, I know your parents didn't want me near you, so it would be a dumb idea for my mom to call your mom so I just asked you in a mall instead."

For a few painful moments, neither of us spoke. I contemplate excusing myself and going to my family, but as soon as I make this decision, Adam clears his throat.

"The brooding, mysterious act doesn't suit me well so that I will get straight to the point." Adam smiled, which drove me to furrow my brows at him.

A childhood crush coming back years later to be wedded to me? Subhanallah, "And?" I can't help but have a smile on my face as he asks.

The mere idea of marrying him would make me the happiest girl on the planet. "You tell me," he said softly.

I frowned, "What do you mean?"

He straightened his back and looked at me, "Zahrah, I know you, I know you," I knew what he meant; he and I were one of those people that other people didn't understand, and only a few read us well.

"You saved us twelve years ago with that Bluetooth of yours, and I can't find a better person to marry." and just then, it hit me.

The nickname Adam used all the time Bluetooth.

Bluetooth.

Blue.

His smile, his demeanor, that nickname, the way my mind tells me to be careful around him. The professor knows who I am.

My whole body trembles. I excused myself and left Adam standing there. The new life that my parents envisioned twelve years ago for me couldn't have Adam in it. Not normally anyway. That never worked. Every time someone knows who I am. It gets worse.

I cried myself to sleep that night. If the professor knows, then the whole med school will know, then it will be highschool again. Nothing happened yet, but It only took one person in high school, and soon it will start again, just like last time. And so, my mourning process continued as memories assaulted my mind.

*****

Thoughts on Professor Florentino kept me company over the next several days. Days in which I didn't speak to Adam. As my father found out from Emilia that I saw Adam in the mall, he wasn't happy. Mama Noura and Fahad were stuck between us in Baba's righteous anger and feeling sympathy for my estrangement from any family activity. Baba was doing what Baba does best. He was a buffer just like he was all these years ago when he decided not to let me participate in the court hearings—saying that my name shouldn't be out there.