06| Another Day as a Student

Zahrah's POV

"We're in the same group," The man who I came to know as Junaid stated. He was walking next to his sister with the beige hijab.

ALG stands for an active learning group. It is a class from Monday to Friday for two hours a day. We meet in a little room five per classroom, and we have to figure the diagnosis; and it is led by an MD or Ph.D. in the room with us, and they facilitate and make sure we are on the right track.

"We are!" I said cheerfully, but at the same time, I couldn't help but notice the glare on the girl's face as I spoke.

Junaid spoke, "So, what's with that Florentino guy then?"

He glanced toward me briefly, as I tried to hide that my weak cheeks had flushed a light shade of pink as Junaid added, "He kept looking at you this morning?"

I didn't answer. I kept quiet; of course, he was; he is possibly thinking of how to torture me for causing that black eye.

A few minutes had passed, and we came into a group of five. We sat in a specific section of the library, away from the peering eyes. Junaid's sister, Safia, was the one who orders it.

I Sat on the floor next to a girl called Karmel, surrounded by a pile of books; We have tucked away in the corner of the library. Chewing on a pen, Karmel eagerly flipped through pages of medical text as she said, "So, what's with the people from the same ethnicity getting grouped?"

I glanced briefly to the tables surrounding us as I found white, black, Hispanic, Asian were divided from each other except for one or two members of each group is from another race. Karmel, Junaid, and I, although we weren't from the same race, we were all Muslims, and then there was Yolanda. The girl who only spoke Dutch.

"Why couldn't I have been white so I could get into a better group," Safia complained for the tenth time at least as I tried as much as I could to practice what I learned and hold my anger.

She then dared to bump her foot on my back, "And why are you sitting in the ground like a hobo? Come sit in the chair."

"Safia," Junaid warned, "Let the girl sit as she wants. Do you have to control everyone?" He questioned.

I sat in shock. Did she just hit me? "Do you really want to lose your foot that badly," I yelled as loudly unconsciously in a library as I held her by her shirt?

Most of the groups' attention was on me as I could hear the librarian coming our way, "I am sorry," I stated before the librarian could open her mouth, "I will be quit," I smiled.

She groaned, "No shouting in the library; we aren't in a cafe shop."

I nodded to her and let go of Safia, and turned my eyes back down to return to scanning the textbook in front of me., "Why do they always have to bring those project girls," Safia scoffed before she moved furthest away from me.