11| That Thin Ice

Zahrah's POV

"So. Zahrah."

I let out a weary sigh and looked up at Baba, who was waiting expectantly for me to give him the report of my day. I shrugged and played with the seam on the overstuffed chair I sat in at the Lebanese restaurant beside the mall as I occasionally glanced to Mama Noura who sat in front of me beside Baba complaining about the menu. Fahad sat beside me as he irregularly gave me a caution sign.

I see Emilia with Youssef as he is holding multiple shopping bags. And a smile appears in my father's eyes as she approaches from behind him and kisses his cheeks. I caught the sight and let out another breath.

Of course, she'd be here.

"Did you get what you need?"

"Yes," She grinned and took a seat at the six-seater table beside Baba and in front of me, "Why did we come here, we could have saved money if we stayed home, and I would prepare!" Mama Noura complained as she looked over to Baba, "Unbelievable prices," She ridiculed again as Youssef opened his happy meal.

"Don't worry about money!" Emilia commented, eyeing Baba.

Mama Noura scoffed.

"I wasn't expecting you to be here." Emilia looked at me, greeting, as she took off her jacket and opened the yogurt she ordered from outside, "Normally, you will be in the library on weekends."

Baba was very miserable before he met Emilia. It was evident in his smile now. So, I promised myself that I was more than ready to like her when he gets remarried. That was until I saw Emilia.

He's so happy. I told myself over and over again as she talked and ate, trying to ignore the sick, sinking feeling in my stomach. 'Age is just a number.'

'she didn't make my life a living hell,' But while I know that's the first part is real, and my dad's happiness is the most important thing, it is hard to cope with Emilia in the way.

To say I loathe her would be the understatement of the century, but I needed to act civil not for her's but my father's sake, so I just nodded.

Ever since I smashed her nose and she went to fix it, she and I avoided each other at all costs. She spends most of her days in her room or cafe, so I avoided the house and stayed in the library most days until it was closed and the shopping mall was something I didn't like from the start, so it was easy.

Everything changed when my father noticed a lot since he doesn't detect Anything and can force me to do anything even at twenty-three. That brings us to this moment as I sit with my family instead of spending my time in the library with Junaid, Karmel, Safia, and Yolanda.

"I don't know where my heels are, so I am going to go buy a new pair!" Emilia stated as I struggled to make eye contact with her.

"I will go with you," Fahad adds.