01| That's Not How the Story Goes

Zahrah's POV

"Are you almost done ?" Mama asked as she descended the stairs.

"Yeah, I'm pretty set. Everything's packed to go. I got my remaining clothes into three large boxes and filled a rolling suitcase with shoes, hijabs, and purses. I think I got everything I need." I answered

She smiled at me from her chair in front of the baby crib, her attention wasn't on me. "You're always welcome to come back, Zahrah. The door's always open."

I smiled, knowing that this was a lie. Ever since my mother got married, she wanted me out of the house and into my father's house, and that was the truth.

After getting all the boxes out of the house and taking about an hour and a half to do so, my phone started ringing. I took out my phone from the pockets of my sweater and answered the call.

"Salam Alaikum?"

"Wa Alaykum s-salam, where are you? We are outside" The voice came from my father.

"Oh, um... Sorry, I ate Mama's Biryani. I was hungry. Sorry Baba," I apologized. I had forgotten to tell him that my step-father and mother insisted on me eating before leaving the house. 

I blame the Biryani for getting me to forget to text Baba! 

Ten minutes later, I see my dad and my little brother coming to the doorway. 

"I'll load those things into the truck for you," My step-father, Khaled, said as he moved the first box.

"JazakallahKhair Abo-Ahmad, but there is no need, her brother and I can do it ourselves," Baba stated as Khaled backed down, he knew better than to get into a fight with my father about loading stuff in the car, again!

"Youssef come on, get that last box," Baba ordered my little brother as Youssef, the chubbiest in the family, made his way toward the house.

"Youssef!" Mama smiled as she put his hands around his plump figure. "I missed you and your brother! Where is he?" Mama said she continued chatting with Youssef while I tried to bring the box, so baba and Abo-Ahmad don't get into another fight of 'who is the strongest.'

"He didn't want to come," Youssef said as his attention was on the leftover on the table instead of my mother's conversation.

"Leave this box; it will hurt your back, Bnaity," Baba said as he took the box from me, and I rolled my eyes; he always looks at me as the little girl who would break her back if she lifted anything if he only knew I do boxing on the weekend he will flip! As my father loaded the last box and I went to sit inside the truck, Baba and Mama got into a fight again

"He hasn't visited me in three months; why are you keeping him away from me!" My mom argued as Abo-Ahmad said, "Seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan."