The Third Man: Part One

Começar do início

"Don't stop on my account," she grins.

Sam looks at her and stops what he's doing to give her some attention.

"I'm done," he laughs.

"Last night was a," she clears her throat, "high point, if you don't mind me saying."

"Good."

"God," you scoff quietly.

"Alright," she mutters when she glimpses at you. "Well, I see you need to start your day. When did you say you were heading out?" Sam doesn't give her an answer, just looks at her impatiently. "You didn't. Right. Damn, you know how to play that mystery card."

She turns to leave, but Sam clears his throat to get her attention. He holds up a wad of cash, and you just stare at him in shock. She looks back at him with a smirk.

"Right, I almost forgot. Next time," she walks to him sexily. She grabs the wad of cash in exchange for a piece of paper, "you can call me on my night off. If you want."

"Okay."

"Okay," she grins and leaves.

"I thought you didn't pay," you say. All he does is shrug and throw away the piece of paper. Your phone rings, and you pick it up without looking at the caller ID. "Hello?"

"Hey. I'm about eight hours out of the Campbell Base," Dean informs

"Yeah, uh, change of plans. We need you to meet us. Sam caught a case in Easter, Pennsylvania."

"A case? When? It's been like a day and a half."

"Yeah, apparently Sam's stamina has been through the roof. He won't quit."

"Apparently."

"Yeah, just call when you get into town. We really need you for this one."

"Yeah, sure," he says and hangs up the phone.

"Come on, Sam, we need to head out. We have a morgue to get to."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While you and Sam wait for Dean to arrive, you think it will help to go over the case file. You're leaning against Sam's car when Dean pulls up. You have to admit, you kind of miss the Impala. Although, whenever Dean has joined you, he's been driving a run-down pickup truck. The fact that he has the Impala says that he and Lisa are on the edge. Dean parks the car and gets out, and he's wearing a suit to match his brother's and on the phone in the middle of a conversation.

"Ben, I know you're lying... Because I lie professionally, that's how. Now tell your mom that you broke the damn thing and take it like a man. Okay? Okay," he rolls his eyes as he hangs up.

"Wow," Sam scoffs.

"What?"

"You—molding the minds of tomorrow. Who knew?"

"Yeah, tell me about it," Dean scoffs.

"How did it go?" you ask.

"With...?"

"You and Lisa," Sam answers for you. "How did she take it when you bailed?"

Dean slyly looks at you for no more than a second, and you instantly know it didn't go as planned. You knew something was off when he came strolling in his car. Though, why did he look at you like this? Does he think it's awkward to talk about the woman he left you for? Why would that be at all weird?

"We're on a break. I come when I can, but we're taking a break," he sighs.

"Okay season three Ross," you roll your eyes.

"Whatever," he changes the topic. "You're still driving the plastic piece of shit, huh?"

"What's your mileage, again?" you ask.

"Shut up."

You three head into the morgue where you'll be looking at victim number two since victim number one ended up in a pile of goop. There's something suspicious going on in this town, and you're going to get to the end of it.

"So, who are we seeing today?" Dean wonders as he tries to play catch up.

"We have Officer Gerald Hatch. He's a seventeen-year old veteran that was found dead in his room three days ago," you offer the file to him.

In it are the pictures that were taken of him right after he died. He passed in front of his partner, so he's next on your to-do list. As soon as Dean sees the pictures, he recoils in disgust.

"Whoa. Somebody was over-hydrated."

"Basically, yeah," Sam laughs. "The guy just liquefied. Most of the meat, bones, and dense tissues just turned to blood."

"Okay I don't get it."

"Yeah, you think we do?" you ask.

"No. I mean, I get that. I'm saying, if the guy was a mop job, then what are we doing in the morgue? What's left of him to look at?"

"We're not here to look at him," you inform and walk into the morgue where they keep the bodies. You open the bottom drawer once you confirm it's the person you needed to look at. The officer is covered in boils as if something had poured hot oil all over him. "Here's the man we need."

"Ooh. Bad news," Dean winces.

"This is Officer Toby Gray. They just brought him in. He was found dead in his patrol car, sitting at a speed trap on the outside of town."

"Extreme allergic reaction my ass," Dean scoffs after he reads his file.

"Yeah. Boils. Covered from head to toe."

"Yeah, on the inside, too. It says his airways are chock full of them. This starting to look a little witchy to you?"

"That was our first thought, but I'd know if there were a witch in town. I'd feel their magic from miles away. Plus, no hex bags or anything. Witches were not involved," you answer.

"There's got to be some sort of link between skid mark and bubble wrap here. Are there any witnesses?"

"As a matter of fact yes. Officer Ed Colfax. He saw Officer Hatch liquify right in front of his eyes. Imagine the psychological damage this guy must be experiencing."

"Another cop?" Dean asks.

"Yeah, he was Hatch's partner," you nod and push the body back into its drawer.