We Won't Fade Away

"It's hard to see the enemy, when you're looking at yourself"

Luke's voice shattered the peace of the room, light casting a wide triangle, with Ashton and the mirror at its end.

"Your reflection shows it all, you're aching to scream for help, aren't you?"

Ashton didn't waver, shoulders remaining tense as he straightened.

Mirrors were interesting in that their reflective properties added an effect of fantasy to whoever gazed upon them, Ashton thought silently, ridding his heart of the tense ache Luke inflicted upon it.

He was looking into Luke's eyes, Luke into his, but all through the sheet of glass.

Ashton could say this conversation never happened, say he never looked into Luke's eyes.

It's all an illusion, he promised himself.

All a dream.

But it wasn't, and as Luke's broad body slid up behind Ashton's, arm securely locking around his wrists, Ashton sucked in a breath.

Caramel eyes fell back down to his pointe shoes, and in the darkness of the studio, Ashton let Luke span his arms out.

"You're a flower, and you'll wither if you spend too long in the sun. Don't worry about the competition, forget everyone in this conservatory. March to your own beat, and keep perfect time with it"

Luke's hands ran down Ashton's spine, before the gently squeezed his hips, fingertips finally resting on Ashton's muscular thighs.

Drifting his gaze back up to his reflection, Ashton let Luke's fingertips linger over his thighs a moment longer, before they finally stretched Ashton's leg up the barre.

Ashton leaned into him, wondering why Luke fit so perfectly folded against him.

"Why are you telling me this?"

Ashton questioned softly, allowing Luke to press impossibly closer into him.

"Because we're the same you and I...2 gay boys dancing in this ballet conservatory"

Luke's voice was husky, low, and sensual like a moan, and Ashton found himself leaning back, back arching as Luke stretched him further.

"And I'm telling you it's ok...don't worry too much about how much you've stumbled in the dark, or how messy the road has been to get here...just enjoy the ride"

"Is that an invite to ride you?"

Ashton giggled, trying to slow down time so it'd last just a moment longer.

Luke chuckled breathlessly, hands resting in the grooves of Ashton's waist as he spun him so they were facing.

Ashton finally looked up to meet Luke's eyes.

Without the distortion of the mirror, they were more blue than Ashton could've imagined.

"Woah"

He breathed out softly, before leaning in to nose at Luke's neck.

"I'm scared"

"That's alright. There's always tomorrow, there's always a sunrise, always a sunset...always a chance for us to take over"

Luke's voice fell to a whisper, and he lifted Ashton's chin up so they could immerse themselves in each other again.

"Tomorrow never dies, my love. So we'll try again then"

He was gone, and without his warm hands on Ashton's waist, Ashton felt incomplete.

He took a breath and lifted himself to delicately rest on his toes, letting the struggles weighing him down wash away.

Tomorrow was a new day, he reminded himself.

It always would be.