I'd Never Let You Get Away, Catch You In All The Games We Play (lashton/malum)

A/n: just smth dumb

Dedicated to ScaredSackless
*****
"Mr. Hemmings, this is stupid"

Michael whined lowly, desperately crumpling the paper and balling it up in his fist.

Luke looked up from his guitar, standing up as he shifted through the wave of students to reach Michael.

Luke careful unfurled the paper, smiling softly at the crossed out words before he tapped his guitar, motioning for everyone to glance his way.

"Who's having trouble with their songwriting?"

Just about every single hand flew up, before Luke had even finished his sentence.

He chuckled, and pointed towards a random woman walking across the street, through the glass window.

"Michael, do you love her?"

"What? Sir, what have you been smoking? I don't even know her!"

Michael screwed up his face, kicking his feet up on a spare chair as Luke nodded.

"Exactly. Love and music are on the same wave- they are both derived of our hearts voice. Now, if you can't love a woman you've never met, how can you write about something you don't know?"

There was a soft murmur, although Luke was sure his words were still unclear.

"Everyone close you eyes, and see the thing or person you love most materialize. Look at them, and look how close they are"

Luke let his voice quiet, and a giggle erupted amongst the class, everyone's eyes wide, except for Michael.

He sat at the back of the room with his arms tight around his guitar, mouth agape.

Behind his concealed forest eyes was Calum Hood, dancing in his head like a dream.

Michael fluttered his eyes open.

"Now write"

Luke handed Michael a fresh piece of paper, and as he bent down to pick up his guitar, a voice stopped him.

"But sir- who is it that you write about?"

There was a few minutes left, and Luke smiled softly, biting his lip.

"Mhm....he was someone who was so precious that when I fell in love with him, the sky got jealous. The stars, the moon, the sun, and every bit of energy in our universe wanted the precious boy for themselves. And who am I to defy the stars? Their dust burns in my veins, lets me mould my destiny with all my smudgy imperfections. So the stars took him from me. But it's ok, cause whenever I close my eyes, I can see him"

The bell rang, and Luke waved everyone off, giving Michael's shoulder a squeeze as he walked by.

"Michael? Maybe your precious person would like to know what you're feeling"

Michael opened his mouth to say something, instead shaking his head and saying a good instead.

Luke took the corner of his lip into his mouth, anxiously stacking chairs and wiping the whiteboard clean until the halls of the school were silent, and every last voice had carried away.

Luke adjusted his collar slightly, hoping he wouldn't be mad at how late Luke was.

Luke's eyelashes danced over his cheekbones as he fluttered his eyes shut, seeing darkness for a long moment till he felt a hand in his shoulder.

His precious boy.

"Hi"

Luke smiled softly, opening his eyes and turning around to see Ashton's face, his nose scrunched.

"Hi"

Ashton giggled, and Luke sighed, taking hold of his hand.

"Did I make you wait long?"

Ashton nodded, pouting as he spun around, arms crossed over his chest. His eyes were counting imaginary stars on the ceiling when Luke leaned closer, spinning him around with a hand on his waist.

"Sorry"

"S'ok Lu"

"May I have this dance?"

Ashton giggled again, leaning against Luke's back as Luke connected his phone to the small Bluetooth speaker he always kept on his desk. He then turned around, and tightened his grip on Ashton's waist, lacing their fingers more comfortably as they raised their hands.

The soft patter of rain accompanied the delicate verses of music, and as Luke's feet carried him around the room, he sighed contently, wishing to never let go of Ashton in that moment.

Michael had been walking towards the doors, after he'd spent several minutes stalking Calum at his locker, deciding he'd tell his friend how much he meant another day.

As he passed by Luke's classroom, he paused, watching as Luke spun silently in the empty classroom.

He moved fluidly, as if he'd danced this particular dance a thousand times before, as if it were a fond memory, tattooed on his mind.

Luke moved delicately, stepping careful as if not to crush someone's feet, as if to immerse himself in the warmth and love of his partner.

But he had no partner, as the room was empty.

It was as if he were dancing with a ghost.

Michael wanted to say something, but instead he took a step back, small smile playing on his lips.

He was a bit lost after that, thinking thoroughly about what he'd seen, and what it meant, so lost that he didn't realized he'd walked straight into Calum until they were both inches apart with their bodies tangled on the floor.

"Ouch"

Calum chuckled, playfully rubbing his forehead as he pushed himself up, using a hand to lift Michael as well.

"Sorry"

Michael mumbled shyly, blushing as he picked his backpack off the ground.

"It's ok, um...bye Michael?"

"Yea..."

Still just a little breathless, Michael was surprised when he turned around and saw Luke, leaning against the doorframe.

"Is he your precious boy?"

"Y-yea..."

"Then go catch him before the stars do"

So Michael ran.