Chapter 20: Experiments

Colette and Carlisle had moved into the living room, the rest of the family dispersing throughout the house.

Cole had her legs tucked up underneath her, leaning into Carlisle's hold. "Do you think it could be possible? For me to have a baby?" She asked her boyfriend, her garnet eyes looking up at him through her long lashes. "I don't know Darling, and I would rather not get your hopes up just to have them crushed again. Rosalie should have never brought it up." Carlisle said. "She wants a baby just as bad as I do." Cole told him, rubbing circles with her thumb on his chest.

"Rosalie wants a lot of things Cole, but letting you think you could have a baby with just a few tests on your humanity is not the way to go about it. If it happens, that's fantastic. You would be a fantastic mother, and I have always dreamed of being a father, but if it doesn't, we thought it too good to be true." He told her as he kissed the side of her head.

"Would you ever want to try?" Colette asked him. Carlisle looked at her with love in his eyes. "With you, of course. You're the only woman I would even imagine having children with, but you have to remember, we don't even know if your body is capable of producing life." Carlisle told her and she hummed, acknowledging his words.

The couple sat in silence, just enjoying each other's company when a thought ran across Cole's mind. "Carlisle? Where's Edward?" She asked and he sighed. "He's with Bella." "What!" She growled as she stood. Her calm and gentle eyes taking on a ferociously protective gleam.

"She knows about us Cole, and she knows you're alive." Carlisle said but it only seemed to make her even more angry. "She's in danger! He put her in danger!" She snarled, her eyes turning pitch black as rage filled her. The thought of her niece or brother being hurt by anything made her boil with feral rage.

"Jasper!" Carlisle yelled as he tried to calm down his spiraling mate, but there seemed nothing he could do. "Colette?" Jasper announced his presence, trying to get through to her. The calming waves of his gifts had little effect on her. "Cole, Bella is perfectly fine. She is protected. We won't let anything happen to her." He told her but nothing seemed to be working. Taking a chance, Jasper dialed Edwards' number.

"Jasper?" "Edward, if you know what is good for you, I suggest you put Bella on the phone." Jasper told his brother and he heard the phone rustle, before Jasper put the phone on speaker. "Cole, listen." Her head snapped to him and before she could take a step, a voice came from the phone. "Aunt Cole?"

In an instant, Colette was back, her black eyes were back to garnet red as she ran to the phone, cupping it gently in her hands so as to not break the only connection with her niece. "Belle?" "Oh my god. I can't believe it's you." Bella said, her voice thick with emotion and Colette chuckled, relieved she was okay.

The heaviness in the house disappeared, but everyone learned a valuable lesson, Colette is possessive and protective, even more so than the usual vampire. Carlisle chalked it up to her still having her humanity, and those emotions being wildly exaggerated, but he wasn't willing to test it.

"Edward, I know you can hear me. If my brother or my niece gets hurt by your actions, I will end you." Cole said through the phone, and it was quiet before a snort was heard through the phone. "I think he's a shade paler than he was." Bella said, trying to conceal her laughter.

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹

Rosalie entered the sitting room, her hands full of envelopes. "Carlisle, these came for you." She said, setting them down on the coffee table in front of the two. "What are they?" Cole asked as she picked one up, noticing it had Susan Hatch's name on it, Charlie's neighbor. "Sympathy cards. Remember, to everyone else, you died." Carlisle gently reminded.