Chapter 39: Shadows of the Past

After Carlisle had left, it was like Cole's walls crumbled, as sobs left her lips. Tears cascaded down her face seemingly burning the ground beneath her as the vegetation had shriveled. A large burst of power left her body as a circle of dead pants stretched across the forest, as her body crumpled, falling to the floor.

"No one can love you as I can."

"You're only a problem Lottie, when will you finally see?"

"I keep you around because no one else will."

The words of Adam White rang out in her head, memories resurfacing, stinging just as much as they did when she first heard them. Her eyes seemingly glowing as her blue shown through, a gold ring around the pupil.

Looking around, her golden eyes caught sight of something moving in the trees

Looking around, her golden eyes caught sight of something moving in the trees. As she got up, she followed it, it's shadowy like nature seemed to almost blend into the trees, yet with her enhanced eyesight she could make out who it was. His dark hair, broad muscles, and the leather jacket he almost always wore. It was Adam.

A snarl came from her, as she approached him, wanting to tear him limb from limb, wanting to take her anger out on something that deserved it, but as she reached for him, she felt nothing as she quite literally fell through him.

Turning back she was met with the coal black eyes of Carlisle that seemed to stare into her very soul.

"When will you learn that you're the problem Colette! I should have let you die." He snarled at her, but his face was flickering from blond hair and golden eyes to brown hair and hazel eyes.

"Lottie, look at me darling." The voices faded in and out, two different faces swapping back and forth. "Stop! Stop it!" Cole screamed as she grabbed her head. "Please!" She cried as she screwed her eyes shut as she tried to block out the voices.

Hitting her knees, a wave of exhaustion hit her, making her eyes flutter closed, her body making a silent thud as it hit the forest floor

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹

A groggy whine left Cole's lips as she looked around, her face eye level with the slowly returning vegetation that covered the forest floor. Her head pounded as she remembered the shadowy figure, but when her head swiveled around in search of it, it was no where to be seen.

A huff was heard not far from her as her body spun around, the caught the eyes of a wolf, one of the shifters. Her eyes widened as she felt the change in her as she saw the surprise in the wolfs eyes.

Its wide stance and black fur was intimidating, but the soft look in his eyes due to her currant appearance made her think she wasn't in danger. As she took a step back, the wolf took a step closer. "I'm not here to turn anyone, just to keep my family safe." She told the wolf gently as she put her hands in front of herself.

Its brown eyes were locked on hers though as it seemed she was surrounded all of a sudden, two more wolves coming from the woods. The two other wolves growled at her, their murderous teeth on display as the gray one specifically snarled.

"Please, my names Colette. I'm just here to protect my family." She said and it was like the atmosphere had changed. The three wolves stopped growling but they kept their eyes on her.

The black wolf sunk into the shadows as she heard bones seemingly rearranging in his body, as a few minutes later, a tall man copper skinned man took the wolves place. The same brown eyes bore into her golden ones.

"You're Colette Swan." He asked, his voice low and gruff, and she nodded slightly. "Your brother's been looking for you." He told her. "Charlie? Is he okay? She frantically asked. "He's fine. We found Bella a few hours ago when Billy told us to look for you." He said as she took in his words.

"You found Bella? What happened?" "Her leach left her in the woods." Sam said stiffly and Cole's eyes turned pitch black as she snarled. The wolves got in position as the man seemed to calm them down. "He what?" She asked. "He left her for dead." "That son of a bitch is dead next time I see him." Colette raged as the plants around her started to die, the wolves scurrying away.

"I'm sorry." She apologized as she tried to rein back in her powers. "I didn't get your names." She said softly as she looked down, now very intimidated by the two wolves and man in her presence. "I'm Sam, those two are Paul and Jared." "Sam, Paul, Jared. I'm sorry for what the Cullens have done, and I at the moment have no affiliation with them other than their diet. I'll stick to the treaty rules." She told them and Sam nodded.

"I need to get back to my brother." She said and Sam looked at her. "He knows?" "He does." She nodded, "but the rest of the town thinks I'm dead so if this could stay between us it would be appreciated." She said and Sam nodded. "Thanks."

The four went their separate ways until Colette stopped. "Sam." She said and he turned around. "Let me know if you see any vampires around that aren't me. Or shadows of ones." She said and he looked at her strange, but nodded.  "Thanks."

As Cole stepped from the shadowed tree line, golden eyes found hers from the house. "Colette?" Esme asked softly as she took in the distraught and tear stained face of her mates sister. "Esme." Cole cried as as she saw Carlisle in her golden irises.

The Cullen ran to the girl, scooping her into an embrace as sobs came from her. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Colette. My brother is an idiot. A complete and utter idiot." Esme said as she tried to calm Cole down, nothing seeming to work, but as a last ditch effort she remembered a hum, one that Carlisle seemed to still do to this day.

As the tune made its way through her lips, Cole calmed only a small
bit, but enough to talk. "Thank you." She whispered as she laid her head on Esme's shoulder, exhaustion pulling at her.