Chapter 40: From Creatures Like Me

When Cole awoke the next day she was in her old room in the Swan house, Charlie was asleep in the old rocking chair that had been shoved in the corner.

As if she knew she was awake, Esme creeped in. "Good morning." She said quietly. "Has he been there the whole night?" Cole asked as she looked to her brother. "He switched between sitting in here or outside Bella's room." Esme told her in a hushed voice but it didn't seem to matter as the voices disturbed Charlie's sleep.

The oldest Swan waking up his eyes immediately found Cole. "Hey, you're awake." He said groggily, whipping the sleep from his eyes as a yawn escaped him.

"Yeah." Cole mumbled softly. "You disappeared yesterday. When Esme brought you in, she said you looked like you had seen a ghost." Charlie said. "It was nothing. I just wanted to be alone." Cole told her brother. "You know you can always talk to me, Lottie." Charlie said. "Yeah. I know." "Good. And Esme. She's not going anywhere." "I know." Colette said and Charlie nodded.

"Where's Bella?" Cole asked. "She's in her room. She hasn't left since I brought her up there." Charlie told her and Cole nodded.

Making her way to her nieces room, she knocked before entering. Bella's eyes stared straight ahead, only flickering over to her aunt once.

Instead of saying anything, Cole crawled up into the bed with Bella, the teen snuggling close. It was quiet, the pain shared between the two was enough.

Since Carlisle had left the state, an ache had started to spread through her heart, and as the time seemed to pass the ache seemed to spread. Where Bella felt the emotional pain, Colette felt both the emotional and physical.

The two just laid there as tears rolled down their faces. "It hurts." Bella whispered. "I know Belle. I know." Cole softly said as she kissed her forehead. Bella didn't respond, but she clung to Colette a little tighter.

"I hope they don't come back." Cole said and Bella's eyes snapped to her. Gold met brown as anger met disbelief. "Why would you say that?" "Because, if I see Edward again, I'll kill him." Colette told her Bella's eyes widened. "No!" "He left you for dead!"Colette growled at her. "I followed him!" Bella shouted at her aunt. "I don't care." Cole spat, a moment later the window of Bella's room was open and the spot next to her was empty.

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹

Esme found her several minutes later, a dead deer by her side as Colette stroked her fingers through its fur. "You haven't brought it back yet." Esme said softly knowing with her gift, Cole liked to spark life into the creatures she had to kill.

"It's one of the best parts." Cole had told Esme once as a deer that was once lifeless, was again in amongst its herd in the field.

"Would it truly like to be brought back?" Colette asked as she never turned to look at Esme. The older woman sighed quietly, her brother telling her what had happened at the house.  "I'm sure it would appreciate a second chance. Its family would love to have it back." Esme told her as Colette's golden eyes glanced at her.

"You sure about that?" Cole asked and Esme was taken aback. Esme had never thought Colette had any qualms about becoming a vampire, especially with her history of La pace, if she even remembered it. She knew their histories, how they became what they were, who they were, and why. So why was it bothering her now?

"Cole?" "I mean what if I bring it back and it's old family is happy, but eventually leaves because they're not the same? They are something different. Dangerous." Cole said and Esme frowned. "Cole-"

"The rest of the family, they didn't really leave just to protect Bella, or to follow Edward's word did they? They left because I'm dangerous. They didn't defend me because I'm the hazard. I kill the un-killable. I should have never been created. Edward was right, I should have stayed dead." Colette said as tears fell down her face, as Esme truly saw how broken their departure had left the girl.

"Cole, no-" "I'm a monster!" Colette cried out as she spun around, startling the older vampire. "I have to stay away." Cole said and Esme shook her head. "No you don't. You're not a danger to your family. You stayed to protect them." Esme said and that was when Colette's eyes darkened. "Yeah, from creatures like me." She said as she took off, leaving the older vampire alone.

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹

Esme ran into the Swan home, her lips moving so fast as she talked into the phone, Charlie couldn't tell what she was saying, let alone who she was talking to.

A worried look fell upon her face as she closed the phone and Charlie looked at her. "Esme?" "It was Alice. I'm trying to find my brother. The whole reason this mess was created was because he couldn't find his back bone, and now something is wrong with Colette." "What's wrong with my sister?" "Edward got in her head." "What does that mean?" Charlie asked. "It means she ran Charlie. She thinks she's a danger to you and Bella, even with me here." Esme said as her eyebrows pulled together, her golden eyes practically glaring at the floor.

"Theres more." Charlie said able to already read her, and she frowned. "I think there's more to it." Esme told him and it was his turn to frown. "What do you mean?" "I think something happened, something Colette isn't telling us."

A/N: Spiraling lethal vampire. Nothing to worry about here. I hope you guys like the update. I'm currently struggling with Covid and Strep throat. Working on stories and taking naps are my best friends right now.