Chapter 38: Its My Fault

Cole sat outside the Swan house, her head buried in her hands. She knew it was the right decision, but it hurt so much. They weren't even gone and yet it was like a piece of her had died.

The back door opened and Charlie came out, sitting on the same stair she did. He should have been in bed, but she could tell from the bags under his eyes and his tousled hair, a sign he had been combing his hand through it, that sleep wasn't coming to him any time soon.

"Did Esme tell you?" She asked quietly, and all she got was a hum in response. He felt the pull already, much like she herself did and Bella does. "We had a big fight. The Cullens and I. Carlisle and I broke up." Cole said. That got his attention. "Are you okay?" Charlie asked, but she didn't answer. "Lottie?" "He didn't give me a choice. None of them did." "What does that mean?" Charlie asked her.

When Cole turned to look at her brother, he was surprised to see basically no emotion behind her usually bright eyes.  "What did Esme tell you?" She countered. "That something had come up, and that they had to leave, but she was staying. She said she couldn't leave after finding me." "They regret saving me." Cole said softly, as a tear fell from her face.

"What?" He asked, eyes wide as he stared at her, trying to detect a lie. "Maybe not Carlisle, but the rest, when the words left his lips, no one stood up for me except for Carlisle. I'm the one who ruined everything. It's always me." Cole said quietly, an emptiness to her voice that had Charlie worried for her.

"No, it wasn't you. Colette, you listen to me. I don't care what anyone tells you, you were given back to us for a reason. You gave me my daughter back, and the woman I love. You're the reason." Charlie told her, and she had a small smile on her face as she leaned against her brother. "You can't tell Bella any of this. He has to tell her himself." Cole told him and he nodded reluctantly.

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹

The morning had came and went, Bella had gone to school with an off feeling in her stomach. With the absence of her aunt, it made it feel even more like something was wrong.

Cole spent her time out in the woods, patrolling, as she called it when a figure stood behind her.

"What do you need Carlisle?" Cole asked and he sighed. "I wanted to talk with you, to see if you would come with us, with me." "I would go anywhere with you Carlisle, you know that, but not while my families in danger. I also don't think I'm wanted at the moment, if even at all." Cole said, Edward's words ringing through her head.

"I don't care what my family thinks-" "We both know that's a lie." She stopped him,"Family is important to you Carlisle, and I understand that. If Edward wants to leave, let him, but don't leave me." She said as tears collected in her eyes.

"I wish that was how it worked. Edward wishes for her life to be vampire free." "That's not going to happen. He should know that. Esme and I are staying. What does he expect?" "I tried to tell him that. She's too far in, but he wouldn't listen." Carlisle told her. "Then let him go. He's a big boy. Don't let him make everyone else miserable too. You are the final decision here Carlisle, not him." "I have to go with them, we don't know what's going to happen to Rose or the baby. I'm the only one suitable to look after her."

"We're going in circles. You've made your choices and I've made mine. My choice is to stay and protect my family, yours is to leave and protect yours. It's that simple." Cole told him, her eyes hard.

"There's something else. What?" Carlisle asked but he was met with silence. "I can't do anything if I don't-" "Your family doesn't want me there way I want them!"  Cole shouted into the forest and Carlisle was silent as the words burst from her mouth.

"Edward had basically said he wished I was dead instead of Bella being in danger right now, and not a damn one of you stood up or even said anything. I know when I'm not wanted Carlisle, trust me, all of those memories not even venom can burn out, but you said you'd never leave. You promised me. I don't think I can trust you, any of you again." Cole said as tears fell from her eyes at a rapid pace.

Carlisle looked at her for a minute, not saying a word, almost as if trying to put together the right answer, but what came out was not what she was thinking. "This wasn't how this was supposed to happen?" He said, her eyes looked at the ground before they looked back into his golden ones. "Excuse me?" She asked him and Carlisle's heart sunk and so did Cole's. "Carlisle, you didn't expect me to just up and leave my brother and niece did you?" "We're mates, it hurts to be away from each other." "I'm not the one leaving." She told him as Carlisle's eyes casted downwards.

"Can I give you one last item?" Carlisle asked. "Yes." She said solemnly as he dug out a small ring box out of his pocket. "Don't you dare." She told him but he put his hands up.

"It's a promise ring. I wanted to give it to you, to promise I'll come back to you." Carlisle told her, but instead of accepting it, she gave the box back closed. "I don't want the ring, Carlisle. I want you. Don't promise me you'll come back. Just come back." She told him and he nodded.  "I'll miss you." "I'll miss you too." "I love you." Carlisle told her but she didn't know if she could say it back right now.

Carlisle nodded, stepping forward, kissing her forehead, before taking off. "To infinity and beyond." Cole said quietly into the forest, as more tears fell down her face.

A/N: My heart!!!! 😭😭😭😭